Do my eyes deceive me?

i dont get all the nintendo bashers... you haven't even tried the damn thing yet.

personally i think it's the best idea.

the xbox and ps2 and gamecube are getting so similar hardware, not to mention that most of the great (see sequels) next gen games are going to be multi platform... do we really need another general purpose console? xbox360 and ps3 can handle that market, i rather nintendo make something new, different and fun... something that would get me back into gaming again... at the same time something i could play with my non-gamer gf.

personally, games were getting so similar and so multi platform, i was starting to suspect another videogaming crash (like in the 80's where similar issues had arrised) maybe nintendo can once again save the industry.

btw, just for the record ( yes i know gryph answered this), but the industry as it is, would've NEVER been the way it is if it weren't for nintendo.

in fact, i don't think there WOULD be an industry if it weren't for nintendo. it saved teh industry from the 80's crash.

and almost EVERY idea for console (and some pc) games have a major nintendo background in it (like gryph mentioned).

dpad, nintendo.

more than one button NOT on a keyboard, nintendo.

platformers, nintendo.

shoulder buttons, nintendo (ever notice how the ps pad looks like a warped snes pad?)

force feedback, nintendo.

lightguns, nintendo.

and more.

i honestly feel like games haven't been really fun in a long time... maybe this will change things.... we'll just hafta wait and see.

btw, hideo kojima is also excited (and being one of the first people to see the controller, he was complaining how hard it was to keep the secret).

and they did port parts of metroid prime 2 for use with the rev controller, it was an absolute success.

and the console has more than one button, it also has an analog control stick plug in (so that the stick acts as a left controller, while the rev controller acts as a right controller, kinda like the dual shock, only with the rev controller.) as well as it being turned at a specific angle to act as a nes controller, not to mention that there are devices to plug into it, AND the possibility of it being made so that ANY old nintendo controller (gc,64,snes,nes) can plug into it.... so yeah, i'm sold. but not totally... gotta see the beef first.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't been here in weeks, hence the (unintentional, but i wanted to comment) bump.

other developers that are VERY interested in the rev (and are developing):

lumines and meteos creator tatsuya mizuguchi

yuji naka (sonic)

peter molyneux (fable, black and white, populous)

micheal ancel ( rayman, king kong)

tomonobu itagaki (dead or alive, ninja gaiden) <-- unconfirmed

you do realize that the controller showed was just the prototype, not the final controller right?

oh and k'dash, what makes you think there will be a ps12 or xbox1000000?

Remeber way back during the PS2 release they had that commercial showing PSXX(forgot the exact number)... You stuck it in your head or something, hehe... Wonder if it will ever be like that.

personally, games were getting so similar and so multi platform, i was starting to suspect another videogaming crash (like in the 80's where similar issues had arrised) maybe nintendo can once again save the industry.

btw, just for the record ( yes i know gryph answered this), but the industry as it is, would've NEVER been the way it is if it weren't for nintendo.

in fact, i don't think there WOULD be an industry if it weren't for nintendo. it saved teh industry from the 80's crash.

and almost EVERY idea for console (and some pc) games have a major nintendo background in it (like gryph mentioned).

dpad, nintendo.

more than one button NOT on a keyboard, nintendo.

platformers, nintendo.

shoulder buttons, nintendo (ever notice how the ps pad looks like a warped snes pad?)

force feedback, nintendo.

lightguns, nintendo.

and more.

I tend to disagree. Yes, Nintendo revived the industry, but if they hadn't then someone else eventually would have. I seriously doubt we would have no video games today without Nintendo, that idea is rather silly, IMO.

As for your other points, there were several controllers that had multiple buttons before Nintendo. Some were number keypads (not keyboards), but if you don't count those (you should) then look at systems like the 5200 or Vectrex.

If you consider Donkey Kong to be the first, then, yeah, Nintendo made the first platformer, though it could be argued that Pitfall is the actual predecessor to sice scrolling platformers like Super Mario Bros. Though I will admit that Nintendo has done the most to advance the genre.

Shoulder buttons... maybe. But if you again look at a system like the 5200 you will notice it has the buttons on the side which is the same concept.

Force feedback... for consoles, yes. But force feed back was around before Nintendo brought it over to the console arena.

Light guns... again, no. Maybe they can be given credit for making them popular with consoles (though they aren't really all that popular), but they didn't invent them (Link Scroll down)

Nintendo has done a lot for the industry no doubt about it, but I get a little sick of people that act like Nintendo not only hung the moon but they invented it too.

Edited by Thraxen