my roomate the Bandwidth stealing bastard

PLasticSlug

ok im back from the dead... and i need help.

My roommate is eating the gawd dam bandwidth- literally. He’s using bit torrent - which usually rapes my bandwidth and also lives on world or warcraft. It makes my comp run at what seems 56K. I know i could easily walk over and ask him to adjust settings or limit his downloading but i sure as hell know i would never do that for him. So i need something a little bit more devious.

Is there any way to split the bandwidth 50/50. adjust some settings on his comp? or do something on my computer to either screw up his net play or limit his usage?

Thanks

Edited by PLasticSlug

I guess it could depend on the router you guys are using (check the settings by typing 'ipconfig' in the command line, get the 'gateway adress' and enter that on your fav. browswer)

I myself wish I could balance out the bandwidth since my brother is always killing mine :huh:

Edited by Weirdy

http://www.netlimiter.com

Install that on his machine, set the overall download and upload speeds to 50% of what you know to be the maximum.

Then follow this to hide the Netlimiter icon, as Netlimiter doesn't have the option to do so. This works under XP, as well as 2k I believe. If he's running any other version of Windows, I don't know how to hide the icon without 3rd party tools.

the 30 day trial worries me, i wouldnt want any popups or somting telling his to renew. Maybe we can agree on using it or somthing... thier should be some other settings or somting... but thanks ill defenetly try it.

Edited by PLasticSlug

Alot of the problem with anything eating up bandwidth, is not what it appears to be.

If you've got a 3mbit/512kbit connection, you'll surely notice when all of your upload is in use, your download speed is so slow it's disgusting.

I use Netlimiter so that an app like DC++ doesn't eat up 100% of my upload, otherwise my download speeds are so slow, that it takes 5 minutes to load a webpage.

He shouldn't realize anything is up unless you limit so heavily that he winds up in the position you were. It's because his stuff is eating up all the upstream that your downstream suffers really bad. Limit it some, and it'll balance out.

Get a Gigabyte gaming router, it has some stuff it also includes some bandwidth tools on it so you can configure how much bandwidth everyone gets, works wonders at my LAN parties when my friend brought it over, made sure everyone was getting even speeds except for me and him.

Edit: Theres also plan 2, which is to beat him with a cricket bat.

Edited by K`dash

the 30 day trial worries me, i wouldnt want any popups or somting telling his to renew.  Maybe we can agree on using it or somthing... thier should be some other settings or somting... but thanks ill defenetly try it.

Cough *crack it* Cough :huh:

Alot of the problem with anything eating up bandwidth, is not what it appears to be.

If you've got a 3mbit/512kbit connection, you'll surely notice when all of your upload is in use, your download speed is so slow it's disgusting.

I use Netlimiter so that an app like DC++ doesn't eat up 100% of my upload, otherwise my download speeds are so slow, that it takes 5 minutes to load a webpage.

Except tht quite a few DC++ hubs are very keen on banning anyone who uses Netlimiter. But whatever.

the 30 day trial worries me, i wouldnt want any popups or somting telling his to renew.  Maybe we can agree on using it or somthing... thier should be some other settings or somting... but thanks ill defenetly try it.

Cough *crack it* Cough :huh:

well...yeah, obvious solution right there ;)

Except tht quite a few DC++ hubs are very keen on banning anyone who uses Netlimiter. But whatever.

some people have to because they may or may not have ISP's that charge them by the amount of bandwidth they've used up (because the leave the responsibility of limitting to the customer for some odd reason)

Edited by Weirdy