• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I have some stupid (?) questions. Could you answer me ?

What are exactly the BaseBand and the RF chips ?

What are spinlock and WIFI_AUTHLEVEL ? ( wifi_shared.h )

I know what is SSID but BSSID ? RSSI ?

I read somewhere that only the ARM7 was able to use Wifi's registers but i see the file wifi_arm9.h and wifi_arm9.c. So, i'm a little disappointed.

There is a great function in wifi_arm7.c : Wifi_ProcessReceivedFrame. Is-it possible to have more explanation about the code ? what is for ?

Hello,

I have some stupid (?) questions. Could you answer me ?

What are exactly the BaseBand and the RF chips ?

What are spinlock and WIFI_AUTHLEVEL ? ( wifi_shared.h )

I know what is SSID but BSSID ? RSSI ?

I read somewhere that only the ARM7 was able to use Wifi's registers but i see the file wifi_arm9.h and wifi_arm9.c. So, i'm a little disappointed.

There is a great function in wifi_arm7.c : Wifi_ProcessReceivedFrame. Is-it possible to have more explanation about the code ? what is for ?

The baseband & RF chips make up the chipset that does most of the work involved in sending and receiving data. Specificly the RF chip is composed of a Phase Locked Loop translating a reference frequency into a specific transmit frequency, and a mixer, which "moves" a data signal into the RF domain. The baseband chip talks to the RF chip, and controls when to send and receive data, as well as handling buffering of the sending and receiving processes.

a spinlock is a type of locking mechanism used in multithreaded interprocess communication, to ensure atomic data access.

WIFI_AUTHLEVEL is an arbitrary specifier used to track the process of authenticating and then associating to an access point.

BSSID is the base station SSID, or group SSID in the case of an ad-hoc network

RSSI is Received Signal Strength Indicator

Yes; the wifi hardware can *only* be used from the arm7. The reason I have a lot of code on the arm9 side is that I've written a transport interface that allows the arm9 to command the arm7, and tell it what to do basicly, and the data is transferred between the processors automaticly.

Wifi_ProcessReceivedFrame is called whenever a frame is received; it's purpose is to detect certain types of frames (specificly: beacons, and authentication and associacion related packets) and to change the local state or local data store based on them. The function itself is large, but it's premise and layout is very simple.

-Stephen