A Question about Samurai Showdown rpg/neo geo CD

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm surprised anyone remembers me for that anymore. Yay, I'm a celebrity.  :P Weirdness.  After much tinkering, I got it to work in Nebula 2.24 by making an ISO (instead of the NRG I had mounted with DTools, or the retail CD) and loading it directly.  I do have to wonder, though... what's with all the load times???  The other emulator blazed through like nobody's business.

Well, LB2 is still an awesome game! Your FAQ is pretty hot too, the best available, although Musashi's moves in the CD and DC versions would be an awesome addition. I just hope the PS2 release has the NeoCD music, but not the dropped frames from the CD or the ports. Musashi and EX immediately available would also be nice, as the ports, as would sharing the BGs in both games, which shouldn't be too hard to implement (I like the LB1 BGs better.)

Anyway, I had a suspicion it was your rip of the game. Good you got it working, just wish it was in english.

Edited by Swithin

Nebula should try to load the Neo-Geo CD data from the first available CD drive. Then again, computers work in mysterious ways.

What I mean is that it actually shows the load screens, and takes its sweet time with them, too. The other emu I have doesn't show them, and it's lightning-fast to load (nothing takes longer than 3 seconds when playing from a mounted ISO, ever). The problem is, the sound is next-to-nonexistent. :/

I also noticed that if you use the special select mode in SSRPG, the character's movenames are all kinds of messed up in the combat menu. They show up fine in the top bar when they're actually being done, though.

I just hope the PS2 release has the NeoCD music, but not the dropped frames from the CD or the ports. Musashi and EX immediately available would also be nice, as the ports, as would sharing the BGs in both games, which shouldn't be too hard to implement (I like the LB1 BGs better.)

Yeah, I do too. LB2 has a couple of really nice ones, though. I'm tinkering around with a FAQ for Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors' Rage (the second HNG64 SS game, never ported) at present... granted, I've tinkered around with it for going on two years now.

Thanks for your help (everyone who responded)

Good you got it working, just wish it was in english.

Now, now. Didn't anyone ever tell you to be careful what you wish for? *whistles innocently* :P

LB1's courtyard with the falling maple leaves has to be my favorite background ever, from any 2-D fighter. The color pallettes of LB2's BGs seemed off, somehow dead, and the animations (especially the dogs in Battlefield and the cowboys in Blue Sky) are woefully bad. Forest is awesome though.

I've always wanted to at least *play* SS64-2. I take it you have the HNG hardware and boards... nice. Mostly, I'd love to see how Shiki, Asura, and Morosumi, play (that brush is such an awesome weapon.) Can you tell us a little about them?

I was hoping the 64 characters would be added in SS6. Obviously, that didn't happen. I really hope SNKP hands Yuki free reign to make an SS that brings *all* the characters back into the fold (maybe even the PS exclusives as extras) for a massively-hyped home-console release.

Also, now that Sammy's working with SNKP, it's not impossible to get Ishiwatari Daisuke working on LB3... one can dream.

Nice whistling, btw. :P

Edited by Swithin

LB1's courtyard with the falling maple leaves has to be my favorite background ever, from any 2-D fighter. The color pallettes of LB2's BGs seemed off, somehow dead, and the animations (especially the dogs in Battlefield and the cowboys in Blue Sky) are woefully bad. Forest is awesome though.

I was always partial to whatsitcalled, the sunset one where you fight Lee and Zantetsu. But yeah, LB1 has some of the best 2D stages ever made. Love Moriya's, Kaede's and Shikyoh's in particular.

I've always wanted to at least *play* SS64-2. I take it you have the HNG hardware and boards... nice. Mostly, I'd love to see how Shiki, Asura, and Morosumi, play (that brush is such an awesome weapon.) Can you tell us a little about them?

I have three Hypers, actually. Had four, but I gave one to a friend (long story). I'm rather fond of Asura Zanmaden, myself, but it's definitely not the typical SS game. The pace is a lot slower than most are used to, and the focus is even more on positioning, since the game has location-based damage (head and chest hits do MUCH more damage than leg/arm).

As far as the characters go, if you've ever played Samurai Shodown! 2 for NGPC, then you have some idea, as the game is based entirely on AZ. Bust versions of the characters tend to be very different from Slash (or even previous Bust versions).

Enja and Suija, in the execrable SS0/SS0S, are pale imitations of Enja Kazuki and Suija Sogetsu in AZ. In AZ, they look completely different, have neither shirts nor weapons, and are tattooed all to hell and back. No goofy bracers on their wrists, and their movesets are completely different, from normals to supers. Enja Kazuki is very slow, and fights with singular power punches and a few grapples. Suija Sogetsu is relatively speedy, and fights with multipart kick combinations.

Slash Asura -takes getting used to, as he is very slow. All of the specials for his Slash form are the names of demons/devils, reversed. He has an arrow projectile and a dp+Slash where he stabs his sword into the ground and a huge spike comes up from beneath, a short distance away. He has an rdp+C counter move, where the sword transforms into a shield. If hit when this happens, it sprouts about 10 or so spikes, which impale the opponent. He can turn the sword into a huge scythe for a big, power swing, which leaves an arc of dark energy behind it. hcb+A/B works a lot like Galford's Shadow Copy, but he has only one specific attack out of it, and can also cancel it with C, or press D to use it as a teleport. He can also turn it into a huge axe, and slams it onto the ground, creating a shockwave (this thing is a biatch to avoid). And for his super, he summons chains around the opponent to bind him/her, then cycles through several different forms of his weapon, ending with a big ol' scythe slash.

Bust Asura-Just as slow, but looks completely different, and doesn't have the morphing sword (though his normals are the same). He can fire a laser projectile (slow to come out, can also be done in midair), can summon a bolt of lightning from the sky (his dp+A/:P, and has a slow, low-hitting projectile that does virtually no damage, but sends the victim high into the air for juggling. He can do rdp+D to power himself up, which makes all of his attacks electrical in nature and do more damage, but he gradually loses life (like LB1 Awakened Kaede). He can fly, which enables an extra special and an extra super (big six-part projectile). And for his DM, which is uncomboable, he transforms into a shadow and quickly floats over to the opponent. If he connects, the screen goes dark and shows quick flashes of him doing damage, until he withdraws his blade and the opponent falls to the ground.

Slash Shiki- qcf+A/B has her duck low and dash forward, slashing at the opponent's legs, which is followed up by a leaping slash for the B version. dp+A/B is a basic dragon punch uppercut. She has a couple of special throws, including one which is a multipart. She can do special flips forward and backward for maneuverability. Also, she has a midair move where she moves toward the opponent and if she connects, she perches on his/her shoulders. This has two followups. Her DM is a basic rush with some visual flair, which starts like the qcf+A/B.

Bust Shiki-Completely different from Slash. Different look, different normals. She carries no weapons, but when she swings, needle-like blades extend from her palms, and retract when she's done. She can summon an energy disc in midair at three set distances (think Goenitz and his tornados). She has a slow-to-start dash move that has to be blocked low, a special grab where she kisses the opponent and reverses his/her controls, a reversal counter (a la Geese), a four-point teleport (like Hanzo), a move where she possesses the opponent and both of them stab themselves inthe stomach. Just like Bust Asura, she can fly, which enables a few new moves. Her DM starts off as a rush, but she knocks the opponent down and straddles him/her in a very overtly sexual fashion, and drains his/her life force... this restores some of her own. This may sound odd, but Shiki's all about sexuality. That's what her name means, actually (sexuality/lust).

Taizan is not quite as interesting as one would hope, but he's still reasonably fun. Describing his moves won't really tell you much beyond the pure mechanics of it. It's just that a Kanji character is written for each one. Of more note is Bust Hanzo. Not only is he different from previous iterations, he is easily the most complex character in the game. His movelist is full of multipart throws, all of which look incredibly painful to behold.

I was hoping the 64 characters would be added in SS6. Obviously, that didn't happen. I really hope SNKP hands Yuki free reign to make an SS that brings *all* the characters back into the fold (maybe even the PS exclusives as extras) for a massively-hyped home-console release.

Well, it's coming to the PS2 in January, and SNKP has stated that it's going to have "additional characters not in the arcade." Given that the existing game has every single 2D arcade SS character already, that narrows the field a bit. Asura and Shiki are the obvious choices, since they already have sprites done for SvC/NGBC. I have a sneaking suspicion that Reon may make it in... and it'd be nice to see her in a full, playable form. I wouldn't lay odds on Hanma or Taizan, or any of the Warriors' Rage 2 characters (though I wouldn't mind Seishiro, Tohma or Jushiro).

Also, now that Sammy's working with SNKP, it's not impossible to get Ishiwatari Daisuke working on LB3... one can dream.

Ishiwatari Daisuke? On LB? Ugh. I like his art and all, but I wouldn't want him to touch the LB characters. It just wouldn't be the same without TONKO designs.

Nice whistling, btw. :P

I'm just saying...

Thanks for replying! I read Mehdi Malekzandi's movelist on gamefaqs a couple years back, and collected as many pics as I could find on the net (and one movie with 15 seconds of Hanzo x Haoh), but your descriptions make me want to play the game even more. Knowing that Morosumi-san actually writes with that brush is just too cool. I'd use him. I definitely want to try out the REAL Suija, and Rasetsu Hanzo sounds like a beast. Well, there will be MAME for that, one of these years.

The game sounds like a lot of fun, but it also sounds like it's one of those games where the difference in enjoyment between the solo experience and versus play is even more exaggerated than most fighters (especially when we've now got Soul Calibur and SCIII around the corner to train on - count me out on SCII, though.) One can't fault SNK for going with their own hardware (well, yes we can,) but it's a shame this won't be much more than an emulated curiosity when it finally becomes available to the masses. The really annoying thing is that I have several friends who would play this with me in a heartbeat, but none of us is a collector. We've got every major console except the Jaguar and PC-FX between us, but no arcade cabs.

I missed out on SS!2, unfortunately, but I'm definitely going to look into it now. I just didn't know it was a port of this.

Well, it's coming to the PS2 in January, and SNKP has stated that it's going to have "additional characters not in the arcade." Given that the existing game has every single 2D arcade SS character already, that narrows the field a bit. Asura and Shiki are the obvious choices, since they already have sprites done for SvC/NGBC. I have a sneaking suspicion that Reon may make it in... and it'd be nice to see her in a full, playable form. I wouldn't lay odds on Hanma or Taizan, or any of the Warriors' Rage 2 characters (though I wouldn't mind Seishiro, Tohma or Jushiro).

I hadn't heard that. Shiki's SVC sprite wouldn't look *too* out of place or out of proportion, I guess. I've seen pics of Asura in NGBC, but no screen-caps to get a very good look at his sprites. I hope this thing gets a NA release, at the very least. Seeing they've released so many other games recently, I can't imagine it won't show up eventually.

Ishiwatari Daisuke? On LB? Ugh. I like his art and all, but I wouldn't want him to touch the LB characters. It just wouldn't be the same without TONKO designs.

Well, Tonko did the designs, but I thought Ishiwatari-san was the lead developer on LB1&2. Granted, he is the only listed developer I can find reference to, but from the stories I heard about LB's development and the subsequent formation of Arc System Works and GG1, I was pretty sure Ishiwatari came up with everything on LB, from concept to engine.

Thanks again for the long reply. Btw - are you "just saying" NeoCD, Saturn, PSX, or just saying? :P

Edited by Swithin

I hadn't heard that. Shiki's SVC sprite wouldn't look *too* out of place or out of proportion, I guess. I've seen pics of Asura in NGBC, but no screen-caps to get a very good look at his sprites. I hope this thing gets a NA release, at the very least. Seeing they've released so many other games recently, I can't imagine it won't show up eventually.

Asura and Shiki would require redrawn completely because the "KOF" style and the "SS" style are both VERY different when you compare them, it just doesn't look propertional. Also SSTenka is suppose to celebrate all the 2D Samurai Spirits. They excluded the 64 versions for a few reasons (one being not alot of people know it). Most likely the extra characters would be Poppy, Kuruko, maybe even Hazuki, Generic Iai Ninjas & Samurais to make things complete.

(and one movie with 15 seconds of Hanzo x Haoh), but your descriptions make me want to play the game even more. Knowing that Morosumi-san actually writes with that brush is just too cool. I'd use him. I definitely want to try out the REAL Suija, and Rasetsu Hanzo sounds like a beast. Well, there will be MAME for that, one of these years.

Someday, I hope. It'd be nice not to have to lug out the Hyper setup. I've actually got a bunch of a videos that I made some time ago, of both SS64 games.

The really annoying thing is that I have several friends who would play this with me in a heartbeat, but none of us is a collector. We've got every major console except the Jaguar and PC-FX between us, but no arcade cabs.

Well, you could get the board and game for about $120 from Vektorlogic on eBay. You'd just need a supergun rig, like MAS sells.

I missed out on SS!2, unfortunately, but I'm definitely going to look into it now. I just didn't know it was a port of this.

Not quite a "port," per se, but more a 2D re-imagining of the game... with a couple of added characters (ie. Charlotte and Jubei). Still my favorite of all the NGPC games.

Seeing they've released so many other games recently, I can't imagine it won't show up eventually.

I would put good money on it coming to US Xbox. With Live support. (KOF2K3 plays great on Live, btw.)

Arc System Works and GG1, I was pretty sure Ishiwatari came up with everything on LB, from concept to engine.

Really... do you have any sources for that? I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious. I'd really like to know more if that's the case.

are you "just saying" NeoCD, Saturn, PSX, or just saying? :P

Probably the former. Maybe the latter. Definitely not the middle. Time will tell.

Asura and Shiki would require redrawn completely because the "KOF" style and the "SS" style are both VERY different when you compare them, it just doesn't look propertional.

The SS3/4/0/Tenka sprites are all the same, just with different palettes, and barring a few redraws here and there, like the Roo-Roos getting retouched in SS4, and Shizumaru's shirt being more open. (BTW, SS4/0/0S' palettes are awful.) They were used, with a shading edit job, to put Genjuro, Haohmaru and Nakoruru into NGBC. (The same kind of thing was done with the LB characters.) It would be comparatively simple to do the same thing in reverse. Shiki and Asura do have a "sleeker" look to them than most SS chars, though... but they're like that in the 3D games, too.

They excluded the 64 versions for a few reasons (one being not alot of people know it). Most likely the extra characters would be Poppy, Kuruko, maybe even Hazuki, Generic Iai Ninjas & Samurais to make things complete.

Maybe, but I really hope you're wrong. Kuroko I wouldn't complain about, but the others would be highly disappointing. I will continue to hope for the other characters. And by that same logic, Reon would still be eligible... SSRPG was 2D. :)

Let me dream, damn you! :P