Stuck?

Phantom

Yes of course, why didn't anyone else think of that?

Because we need source to integrate into homebrew, not an arm binary.

We also need headers, and the TCP/IP stack.

But if anyone is good enough to look at the binaries for mario kart and turn them into source that can be used by anyone then by all means, do it :P

Edited by JaJa

I sense a bit of sarcasm in your reply. I was just wondering, I mean that guy hacked the ipod by listening to the click of the hard drive so I just thought that maybe someone would be able to get something out of Mario Kart be it from the rom or capturing packets to see what it's doing.

Yes of course, why didn't anyone else think of that?

Because we need source to integrate into homebrew, not an arm binary.

We also need headers, and the TCI/IP stack.

But if anyone is good enough to look at the binaries for mario kart and turn them into source that can be used by anyone then by all means, do it :P

Of course we need source, but ever heard of reverse engineering? It's easier if you actually have something that uses the features you want to analyze. Having a wireless online game will not be the solution, but will probably make it much easier for everybody to see how to set up the wireless, which register to use, etc. by analysing the binary itself!

The work sgstair is doing is I think much harder.

Otherwise why he is not releasing any binary prerelease if they are useless for the "competition"?

I am quite confident a game dump will be useful to him and possibly others...

Edited by bafio

Yes i have heard of reverse engineering, but saying you can work out the one particular feature from just a dump of mario kart is stupid.

There's ARM 7 and 9 code in the dump (dunno if their split) packaged up and i imagine it would be a nightmare, considering you don't really know what your looking for.

Sgstair has worked out the registers and is now on the TCP/IP stack. I imagine if he did a pre-release you could do LAN games.

Edited by JaJa

But you'd still have to write a nice little TCP/IP stack.

I see what your saying. It's similar to what your doing.

Do you think they'd still have had trouble with the power-saving bit?

Edited by JaJa

I think you misunderstand the problem :)

Basicly all nintendo code uses the same wifi code to talk to the hardware, In this case we'd actually be looking for an entirely different feature in a completely different part of the code. It's not going to be practical to reverse engineer nintendo's TCP/IP stack when we have one of our own ;)

-Stephen

With the lack of information about Nintendo's use of wifi with the ds, I would assume that anything that gives a bit more understanding of it would be a good thing. Like capturing packets that mario kart is sending out to the router, or where settings are stored for wifi. If anything I don't think that the release of Mario Kart will set Sgstair back any. At the least it would provide something that is of use. You don't have to reverse engineer the Mario Karts rom just to exploit it or make it useful to you.

"Stupidity" has gotten the ds homebrew scene this far, or did you just assume they figured out how to make the passme the same way Sgstair is figuring out the wifi?