Compiling

Win98 almost never uses more than 256 Megs. Had some guy who got a new comp with 2x256 MB sticks. Installing WinXP failed, while installing Win98 worked and he never experienced problems while using Win98. Later we found out the 2nd stick was bogus, now hes on XP too, but it was interesting to see Win98 doesnt address anything above 256 MB obvisiously. So 256MB for Win95/98 is enuff

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could be right.

My win95 machine has 2x40gig drives, 1x cdrom, 1x cd burner.

The bus speed of win95/98 is limited to 66mhz, but I got a patch from Microsoft and bumped the bus speed up to 100mhz.

James, I'm not sure what you mean with the system 7 stuff. I got it originally before win98 came out, it was a 300mhz pc then, the processor a K6. One day the fan died, and the processor overheated, blowing itself and the motherboard. I got a new motherboard and a k6-2 processor which is what I have now. I leave the case off otherwise it gets too hot and hangs windows.

And, back on topic, I successfully applied a diff patch, and compiled mame 0.101u1

I think you could be right.

My win95 machine has 2x40gig drives, 1x cdrom, 1x cd burner.

The bus speed of win95/98 is limited to 66mhz, but I got a patch from Microsoft and bumped the bus speed up to 100mhz.

James, I'm not sure what you mean with the system 7 stuff. I got it originally before win98 came out, it was a 300mhz pc then, the processor a K6. One day the fan died, and the processor overheated, blowing itself and the motherboard. I got a new motherboard and a k6-2 processor which is what I have now. I leave the case off otherwise it gets too hot and hangs windows.

And, back on topic, I successfully applied a diff patch, and compiled mame 0.101u1

Yeah the diff is easy

And back offtopic hehe Bus speed is controled by the mother board via jumper settings windows has no limits on bus speed on the CPU

If that was the case people would not use the OS on a P4.

Hey I even used windows 95 on my P4 2 gig :D

If you have to leave the case off then I suggest you check your CPU fan for dust. Maybe get a bigger heatsink and fan.

Oh yeah right now I have a AMD K6-2 550mhz CPU and heatsink plus fan sitting on my desk do you want it ?

Win98 almost never uses more than 256 Megs. Had some guy who got a new comp with 2x256 MB sticks. Installing WinXP failed, while installing Win98 worked and he never experienced problems while using Win98. Later we found out the 2nd stick was bogus, now hes on XP too, but it was interesting to see Win98 doesnt address anything above 256 MB obvisiously. So 256MB for Win95/98 is enuff

Windows Xp runs with 256mb.