ATTTENTION: Nintendo DS Trojan Bricker!

Terrible news was brought to me this morning that a Nintendo DS trojan was made. Brakken, part of the 1Emulation Radio Show Team and owner of [ TehSkeen.net ], was the first to bring it to the world's attention. This is the first trojan for the Nintendo DS that was made only a week after the PSP virus. The author of this DS trojan was DarkFader, a well respected scene developer of both #DSDev and #PSPDev. However, his actions were no where endorsed by #DSDev where it was the original spread point.

From the creator of #DSDev on IRC (EFNET)...

I feel that this should be said considering how people are saying #dsdev supports the bricker…

I, BigRedPimp, am the founder of #dsdev on EFNet. Rumor has been going around that the bricker app (which renders stock Nintendo DS units useless) is supported by the ops of my channel. This is not the case. The fact of the matter is that I am disgusted with certain individuals who not only created it but condone its creation by saying “because I can”. This, to be blunt, is bullshit. You are single-handedly making it hard to trust anyone out there looking for help on their current work. Why someone would create an “app” that would turn a US$120+ portable device into a paperweight is beyond me. I think this individual needs a serious reality check. Just because you can afford a DS whenever you want one doesn’t give you the flockING RIGHT to destroy the rest of ours. I’ll be expecting some sort of retort for this but I don’t care.

In closing, I reiterate the point that the staff of EFNet #dsdev does NOT condone the use of the bricker in any way, shape or form. Support positive development, not destructive. That is all.

Many have taken this DS Trojan with a grain of salt or a slap to the face. The point of the matter is that this is reality! Some people enjoy ruining other people's lives for pleasure. It's their own little sick way of replacing a girlfriend or a mate because they can't get one. It's just how this world works and to this day there are thousands to millions of viruses for the PC. Homebrew and #dsdev do not support it. In no way shape or form should you stop downloading homebrew because of this. Make sure you *trust* the author of any software you run.

Now for the info on this trojan....

The trojan will overwrite all of the unprotected portion of the firmware of any DS. Beware of files named as of now: *r0mloader.zip* & *taihen.zip*. Incase you're wondering what "taihen" means in japanese, it's "trouble".

8e7a3728759df265ca3a78553cf27bb8 - taihen.nds (548673 bytes)

a959cfa514f4c7162a81421ee99d3356 - r0mloader.nds (151361 bytes)

And the code from the author himself...

Oct 06 23:58:52 void EraseEverything()

Oct 06 23:58:52 {

Oct 06 23:58:52     //EraseFirmware();      // tested. is run by ARM7

Oct 06 23:58:54     //EraseG6();

Oct 06 23:58:56     //EraseSupercard();    // tested

Oct 06 23:58:56     //EraseMoviePlayer();  // tested

Oct 06 23:58:58     //EraseXGFlash();      // tested

Oct 06 23:58:58 }

For the infected, if you don't have flashme installed, or a sayno flash chip, you can't restore it without opening your DS. Flashme adds restore code to the firmware in case it doesn't flash properly. Otherwise, you need to build a parallel port flasher and open your DS. It erases the G6 firmware, Supercard firmware, Movieplayer, and XGflash, so it can't be used which basically stops you from being able to recover your DS even if you had flashme installed. You can recover the gbamp if you have a flash card or flashme and a wmb-capable wifi card, by using the gbamp NDS Firmware hack. Any cartridge that has a linker should be fine. We're still not sure if it's possible to recover with xgflash, but supercard users are going to have a problem. Disturbingly, DarkFader made a restore program with this trojan, but he wasn't able to restore his erased supercard on his own hardware while testing it.

In conclusion, remember folks, keep your eyes open in both the PSP and Nintendo DS scene. There will always be trojans and viruses; this is just the first released one. Lastly, #dsdev or even #pspdev will never ever support such as they were only made to support real homebrew. Don't ever forget it!

Big thanks to SgStair, Pepsiman, and Joat for information regarding this matter.

I was just about to point out the meaning of the japanese word, but I guess I don't have to now. First a PSP virus and now a DS Trojan? The future is not too bright.

Stunning idiocy continues at a relentless pace it seems, not only does this attack the very devices we enjoy for our gaming, the very industry that makes frankly brings alot of fun and fond memories to people, this also attacks the very homebrew scene itself, making it loose repute, trust and frankly squashing the enthusiasm potential developers may have.

It's also rather sad that such things will mainly damage people of a fairly young age range, I know if I was a kid and my favourite toy was reduced to junk, it wouldn't be a happy experience to put it politely.

The 'just because I can' attitude is irresponsible and pathetic, with little consideration for the consequences, it saddens me that dickless spotty pale faced sexless freaks have to do such things to boost their otherwise microscopic egos.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for reacting so late, I only read up on this yesterday (and I've just been playing around with WifiMe since the last few weeks)....

if anything, it seems DarkFader himself feels quite bad about this. While the bad's already happened, it's at least very honest of him to write a formal apology on his site.