Intelligent Design in schools?

STUFF

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

The whole debate is moot because public institution will never affirm creationism, especially on the federal level. Any such education of "alternative thinking" can be persued on their yahoo parents own time.

What ID is trying to do is bypass that which I find ridiculous because I have no idea how else they can explain it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Creationism isn't not science not because it believes in God.

that didn't make much sense

Over here in California public schools, kids are taught theology in the 7th grade btw. Not only about christianity, but also buddhism, islam, judaism, confucianism etc

I went to school in California and they don't actually teach "theology." Rather, if at all, they teach the sociological cause and effect of religons.

then why not do the same for evolution?

But see, here we are going back to saying creation is not science. When there are also scientists who are creationists.

We use Science. We just have very different views of what caused something.

In a way they both need faith.

Evolutionists believe in a big bang. Nothing blew up and created everything. Now, not ALL evolutionists believe in it, but most do, and it is yet another thing that is taught in our public classrooms as fact instead of Theories.

Creationists believe in a Flood.

The flood is what makes the greatest difference here. When scientists don't take God into consideration, they are not taking the flood into consideration. And that would change everything.

On one side you have a group of scientists that do their research believing that earth has been around for Billions of years. And has slowly been changing.

On the other side you have a group of scientists that do their research believing that earth hasn't been around that long, and that there was a flood which caused a great disturbance in the world. And different creationists scientists have their own version of just how the flood happened. But they believe there was a flood. Just like different Evolution scientists have their own version of how it all began.

So we go back to the main subject. Why is one considered to be Science and the other one isn't?

Now, lets go a little into the christians can go to private school and learn creation.

Well, Not all Christians can afford private school. And even if I sent my kids to private school, the goverment would still charge me for Public schools.

Why should a Christian father be paying money so that the goverment can deteriorate his kids belief in God?

But the same could be said about an Atheist. Why should they pay so that the Goverment can make their kids learn about something that has to do with God?

So it all comes down to Choice. Should the goverment be giving us only part of the theory? Should they only be showing us one side of the argument? or should they be letting us know of all sides and then allow us to choose whatever we want?

Or maybe such controversial things should just be left for the parents and these "Theories" should just plain not be taught and only teach that which has been proven without any doubt?

But then the parents wouldn't really do a very good job at giving us all sides of the story either. They would just show us what they want.

Over here in California public schools, kids are taught theology in the 7th grade btw. Not only about christianity, but also buddhism, islam, judaism, confucianism etc

I went to school in California and they don't actually teach "theology." Rather, if at all, they teach the sociological cause and effect of religons.

then why not do the same for evolution?

They do, I wasn't arguing against it. Altough knowledge of either disipline hasn't helped me worth a damn so I really have no idea why we should bother mandating education either way, or why we're even having this dumb fukking dialouge.

I went to school in California and they don't actually teach "theology." Rather, if at all, they teach the sociological cause and effect of religons. Try not to facilitate some European kid going to public forum saying "Ooh ooh, America's become a veiled theocracy. I heard it, they said so themselves."

Why would you care about what a stupid european kid would say?

We use Science.  We just have very different views of what caused something.

That's not science. That's bullshit. I could have gone in a deep analysis of his arguments, but this has been done many times already. Just google the author's name and you'll see.

Why should a Christian father be paying money so that the goverment can deteriorate his kids belief in God?
How would that deteriorate his kids' belief in god? It may just deteriorate their belief in a religious theory that tries to pass off as science. It's really not the same.

Many scientists are christians.

The question above would be better expressed as:

"Why should a Christian father be paying money so that the goverment can deteriorate his kids belief in creationism?"

If all parents could teach everything their kids should learn, why would there be schools? Most parents can't teach everything their children should know, because:

1- They don't have the time necesseray for that.

2- They don't have the knowledge necessary.

3- Some things they believe to be true have been proven wrong.

Why would kids be taught creationism and not that the earth is flat, or that it is the center of the universe? I'm sure some parents still believe that.

Also, if creationism should be taught for choice's sake, then so should be all the other religious theories, including the one that says that earth is a giant underwater turtle, and that we live on it's back (sorry I don't remember from which culture this myth comes from). And why not the FSM theory?

We use Science.  We just have very different views of what caused something. 

Just like Gryph said, science requires the use of the scientific method. You aren't using the scientific method, because you're starting from the other end and stating your hypothesis as true. You then work your way down and try to reverse engineer your conclusion.

As for my opinion on the matter, I believe that both evolutionism and creationism should be taught in schools. Both as theory, of course.

P.S. I did start a creation vs. evolution debate a while back. It went fine.

P.P.S. That's American myth I believe.

For christ's sake (Pun intended), why can't people just agree that religions should stay in the church, and fact should stay in the schools, and then let the people decide what's right? I mean, when I was taught evolution, I was taught it as a theory. That's what we should be doing. Say, "Hey, this is a theory we are teaching, and may not be true. In fact, you may disagree with it completely, and that's okay," and then everything would be peachy.

People have to just freak out about the littlest of things.