My ISP told me

Robert

My ISP sends a regular newsletter, and the latest issue had this:

Microsoft are no longer allowing service providers globally to use the files needed to assist Members with Windows 98/Millennium (ME) to set up a connection to the internet. Due to this decision by Microsoft, (isp) will not be signing up new Members running Windows 98 or Windows ME from 17 October 2005.

Of course, not many ppl use those systems on the net.

But still, does it mean Microsoft are dropping support for them?

My friend is using the net with ME.

However, if you make a connection using one of those custom installers ISPs make then those should still work right?

This overall seems like an ass move on Microsoft's part.

Edited by DragonKeeper

if u use those systems on a router would u be able to go online then?

I think the problem is if the ISP makes you use specific software to get online (like netzero or AOL). Those would check what OS you have and not install if its too old. So no, a router would make no difference. If it does not require special software and jsut uses the regular windows dialer, then I don't see how they would know or care what you use.

There are still lots of ME users out there. I know my dad got a desktop free from his work and all the desktops they gave out were ME. I guess I had better get him updated to XP soon!

my laptop was running ME but it has been crashing so I am back on the hunt for a 98se install disk. although I just looked at the official system requirments for XP and I am good so I may try to install xp.if I can find a reliable workaround for activation. (pm me if you know anything) :unsure: