Microsoft buying into AO-Hell

Robert

Source

September 15, 2005 -- In a deal that would unite two of America's corporate giants as partners in the Internet business, Time Warner is in advanced discussions to sell a stake in America Online to Microsoft, The Post has learned.

According to two sources familiar with the matter, Time Warner is in talks with Microsoft about selling the stake in AOL and then combining it with Microsoft's Web unit MSN.

Under the plan being considered, Microsoft would pay some money to Time Warner for the AOL stake, leaving the two companies approximately equal partners in the venture.

While the deal could fall...

hmm finally i never really liked aol anyway

they did buy GATOR aka Alexa :(

if they buy aol and put Alexa in it...

I hear some copies of XP already have Alexa in it

EVERY copy of Windows XP contains an Alexa registry key, it's nothing on the scale of full fledged spyware mind you, but it's still present.......for whatever reason.

wtf? how is having alexa on your PC supposed to help anything? I thought it was just for keeping track of websites! (or is it basically reporting back to the sites you went to so it can contribute?)

I havent been there in awhile, but i remember i used to think alex was owned by amazon.com because they looked so alike