Iwata has revealed the Revolution controller.

Gryph

What do you guys think Jack Thompson is going to think about this? I can already see him claiming that this thing is teaching kids how to aim guns. It would be rather ironic if kid-friendly Nintendo ended up taking most of the heat next generation for producing "murder simulator" games.

Perhaps this was one of the reasons behind the rather generic TV remote design of this controller?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing with the mouse/keyboard combo is the only thing that messed up my wrists. I think this new design is great, But I don't think it would be fun all teh time. Cos on my DS sometimes I get tired of using the stylus and just want to use the d-pad, but since the games that need the stylus don't use the dpad at all its rough. It has good and bad qualities.

I think it looks RETARDED, but I won't really judge it's potential until I get to try it.

As for Nintendo screwing anything up, or "letting" other manufacturers gain ground..........who the hell is still blind to the fact that this is the day and age of mindless fanboy gamers, who have no respect for older games and games that are actually fun?

If anything will kill gaming on any front, it's todays 12 year old........

Another good interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60917

Eurogamer: A lot of Nintendo's previous controller concepts have been adopted by your competitors. Are you worried they're going to nick this idea too?

Jim Merrick: Of course! As someone pointed out to me today, here we are, about to throw away 20 years of controller designs - designs which Nintendo came up with! There will be an influence on the industry, absolutely. That said, Nintendo will aggressively protect its intellectual property.

Eurogamer: A lot of Nintendo's previous controller concepts have been adopted by your competitors. Are you worried they're going to nick this idea too?

Jim Merrick: Of course! As someone pointed out to me today, here we are, about to throw away 20 years of controller designs - designs which Nintendo came up with! There will be an influence on the industry, absolutely. That said, Nintendo will aggressively protect its intellectual property.

Bah... the various "fishing controllers" that have appeared through the years were basically the exact same concept. Nintendo may be able to protect the exact technology they are using to accomplish the idea, but the idea itself is many years old. But, yeah, since Nintendo did it everyone will claim it is revolutionary or their idea.