Xenosaga DS / Xenosaga Eps.3

Wizard

Namco's decided to completely port Xenosaga 1 + 2 from their PlayStation 2 incarnations onto the handheld.

Before you panic, realize Namco understood from the start Nintendo DS couldn't handle all the 3D used in the series originally. As a result, the latest issue of Famitsu Weekly reveals Xenosaga 1 + 2 are completely 2D, and though Namco will reportedly be including as much of the famous lengthy FMV cutscenes from the original games, much of the story will obviously be told in recreated 2D cutscenes.

The battle system for the overall series will be primarly based upon Xenosaga 1's, though there are sure to be additions and tweaks made that Namco hasn't made clear yet.

We're not exactly sure why Namco's decided to undertake such an ambitious port over the typical spin-off, but it's likely to prepare people for the closure of the series with the also revealed Xenosaga 3.

11267607208274qt.th.jpg
Even though Namco and Monolith originally intended to have the the Xenosaga storyline spread out over far more than three games, plans have changed; the latest issue of Famitsu Weekly reveals Xenosaga 3 will be the final installment in the RPG series.

Of course, there's nothing stopping Monolith from coming up with a reason to revive the Xenosaga series next-generation, but current storyline appears to be coming to an end. Set approximately one year after the events of the last game, Xenosaga 3 features much of the same cast (that we know of so far, at least) and is subtitled Thus Spoke Zaratharus.

As there wasn't much fanfare for the last Xenosaga release, it shouldn't come as much surprise much of the game is undergoing retooling, starting with the battle system. Character battles will include tech again this time around, mech battles are supposedly more diverse in terms of attack variety and you'll apparently be able to hold conversions with people while in the midst of battle.

Look for an official unveiling with high-resolution screen shots, an overly lengthy, cutscene heavy trailer alongside the game's debut at the Tokyo Game Show later this week.

uporg1928113mb1ii.th.jpg uporg1928185ee5re.th.jpg

>>Scans from Game-Age.

>>XS DS | XS3

Update the scan. Updated scan from 4chan.

Edited by K`dash

I wonder if we'll ever get Xenosaga in any form. It's one of the few high-profile series that have never made it here, and the other one is the Tales series (excluding Tales of Symphonia for some strange reason; still no PS2 port of ToS for us - flockers).

WTF is wrong with Namco and their RPG development teams?

I wonder if we'll ever get Xenosaga in any form. It's one of the  few high-profile series that have never made it here, and the other one is the Tales series (excluding Tales of Symphonia for some strange reason; still no PS2 port of ToS for us - flockers).

WTF is wrong with Namco and their RPG development teams?

They hate europe and everything there.

To my surprise, it has been confirmed that Xenosaga II: Jenseits von Gut und Bösen will be released here on October 28th with heavy extras. Oh glorious day, although I would have preferred Xenosaga I more.