I hate this

Source and screenshots

Genesis emulated in Java

Posted on Vendredi, août 12 @ 00:58:51 CEST by root Contributed by : root

This is for real.

We have got the first working Genesis emulator ever written in Java.

Everything is emulated, including Motorola 68000 CPU core, Zilog Z80, Genesis Video Display Processor, Yamaha YM2612 and Texas Instruments SN76496.

Compatibility is good, really, really good, as you can see in the screenshots [see the link].

What about speed ? Well, it's hard to believe, but the emulator runs FULL SPEED WITH SOUND on Sempron 2400 / 512 M.

It also runs full speed without sound on a XP1600 based laptop (with slow video and sound hardware).

It runs at 44 FPS on 1.2 Ghz Duron.

Anyway, after more optimizations, except it to be fully playable with 1 Ghz computer.

This was the good part of the news.

The bad one is that it is not going to be released anytime soon.

Actually, it may never be publicy released.

Why ? For two main reasons:

- First of all, this is a commercial product. If you are interested in licensing the emulator, or any part of the it (68000, z80, etc...), please contact us at david.raingeard@laposte.net or romain.tisserand@gmail.com.

- Secondly, we are tired of having our Java emulators "stolen" by some websites and making money on our back, especially the Sega Master System and Nec Pc-Engine emulators. Working on such emulators, in a constraint environment and language such as Java represents thousands hours of hard work.

We have dreamed of Genesis playable online (with save states) for several years.

Today, This is a reality.

I hate this sort of thing. Without something to test with, I'm assuming it's a fake. What do you think?

It could be for real, but as long as they don't release it there's no way to know. Anyway, if they want to release it as a commercial emulator and act all "I'm tired of people stealing my precious work", I really don't give a flock. I just hope they won't ever earn a single cent from this.

To me this seems totally clueless. Why would i want to play online ?

There is no advantage to me playing online from playing offline.

(With online i assume the emu will work in the browser or something.)

Besides playing in a browser will like disable fullscreen, anyone offering this on their website will have a bunch of attorneys after him too.

I can also play with others via Kaillera from my own comp, Gens is better and free, so to me it looks like the

thousands hours of hard work
are totally wasted. :D

Stupid kids...

errr...they might make you pay for it because they dont want someone stealing something thats free and making money off of it.

Okay, i GUESS i could understand, kinda unreasonable, one persons just gonna pay and distribute it and its gonna happen anyway.

They might not release it at all because of this

Totally unreasonable, and goes against their "Dream of everyone playing Genesis games online with save states"