Dark Water for the Big N

The dynamite DS can't offset a dearth of games and plummeting GameCube and GBA sales; game giant remains in the black.

When analysts (accurately) predicted Sony would see serious losses , many Nintendo loyalists felt some schadenfreude at their archrival's suffering. Today, though, it was the house that Mario that saw its financial foundations shaken by lackluster earnings numbers.

According to Reuters' Japanese service, Nintendo Co. Ltd reported a 78.5 percent decline in operating profit for the quarter ending June 30, 2005. Its 13.72 billion yen ($123 million) in operating income was off 3.75 billion yen ($33.4 million) from the same period in 2004. While disappointing, the figures did slow the precipitous decline Nintendo reported in the January-March quarter, when its profit dropped 8.5 billion yen ($75.8 million). Overall, quarterly sales were off 14 percent, weighing in at 70.7 billion yen ($630.6 million).

[...]

Gamespot

I'm a big Nintendo supporter because of Nintendogs is the greatest thing since peanut butter. I really hope Nintendo recovers from their slump.

They can afford it... they wouldn't have gone ahead with xbox otherwise.

At least Nintendo still can make money.

Sony's actions with delaying the sale of the PSP, and suing sellers have caused me to lose respect for them.

They can afford it... they wouldn't have gone ahead with xbox otherwise.

At least Nintendo still can make money.

Sony's actions with delaying the sale of the PSP, and suing sellers have caused me to lose respect for them.

Yeah, Microsoft has that luxury. I'm not sure if Sony can do that since Playstation division counts for somewhere around 60% of it's operating revenue. But yeah, Sony suing those guys was really low.

Sony can sustain a lot more hits to their profit than Nintendo. Sony is a diversified global company with many many other interests besides games (movies and music, for example). Nintendo has games. And its quite suprising to see how much a lack of good games for just the span of a few months hurt their business. That is an incredible drop in such a short time. All because they didn't have enough exclusive titles to draw people to the GC & DS. Talk about innovate or die...