Where did all the badasses go?

Gryph

I watched Bullitt today and realized that we have no badasses like Steve McQueen in Hollywood anymore. What's going on? Does anyone else feel this way? Where are our Sean Connerys, Clint Eastwoods, Cary Grants, Humphrey Bogarts, James Deans, Jack Nicholsons, Harrison Fords, Frank Sinatras, Warren Beatys, Marlon Brandos (On The Waterfront days), Alec Guinesses, Robert Redfords, Paul Newmans, Robert de Niros...well you get the picture. Some of them are still alive but they'll be dead soon.

We get stuck with guys like Tom Cruise (who was inexplicably badass in Collateral), Ben Affleck, Keanu Reeves, who else...see! There just aren't many memorable or cool people. There is no one you can hang a poster up and still be considered straight. It's an abstract concept but you can still hopefully understand what I'm talking about. You could say "I want to see that movie because (one of the names above) is in it" which can't really be said about the prissy dicks we have now. There are just no badass heroes anymore which is a reason I think we are seeing all these superhero movies now to fill that void.

I blame it on the pussification of America. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this way. If I am, then flock all of you.

/me listens to Bonnie Taylor's "I Need a Hero."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Bruce Willis, although he's quite varied in what he does anymore, or Wesley Snipes?

:( Wesley Snipes

on camera he'll play a buff vampire hunter, but you ever see him after not shooting a movie for a while? That guy is all super skinny and a little too flamboyant

you've got a good point... but that's cause everyone is afraid of not being "mainstream" that's the same reason games currently suck.

because no game wants to be a hardcore game anymore.it wants to be mainstream, to make money.

same with actors.

same with most money hungry musicians ( think abuot it, who has more talent, destiny's child, or System of a Down for example... and who's more popular?)

Vin Diesel, Wesley Snipes, Ice Cube, Jason Statham and a few others I can't remember are the closest to being badasses in Hollywood right now. But yes, the "real" badasses have disappeared.