New to emulation, please help

Hi everyone, I've just registered and I'm trying to figuare out exactly how to get Chankast to work. I'm an owner of two Dreamcasts, as the first one died, and then... the second one did too. The only game I really want to play is Space Channel 5, as I seem to just want to, well, play it. I've gotten the bios files I need and put them in my Chankast_02a directory. I open the program, goto Run -> GD-ROM, and the thing starts going. I see the Dreamcast intro and it goes to the music player. I have selected my CD drive, and I have the CD in the drive. Can anyone help? Thanks. -_-

Hi everyone, I've just registered and I'm trying to figuare out exactly how to get Chankast to work. I'm an owner of two Dreamcasts, as the first one died, and then... the second one did too. The only game I really want to play is Space Channel 5, as I seem to just want to, well, play it. I've gotten the bios files I need and put them in my Chankast_02a directory. I open the program, goto Run -> GD-ROM, and the thing starts going. I see the Dreamcast intro and it goes to the music player. I have selected my CD drive, and I have the CD in the drive. Can anyone help? Thanks. -_-

Are you trying to play an original dreamcast disc or a copied disc?

The disk is the Original Dreamcast disk.

Sorry, but it can't run original dreamcast discs. You have to realize that those are NOT CD-Roms. They are GD-Roms. When it says "Load GD-Rom", it means a copied dreamcast game on a CD-Rom. Since no one owns a GD-Rom reader. You'll have to probabaly download the games from somewhere and no I can't tell you since that's piracy. -_-

Is there a way to convert the GD-ROM into a regular disk using the original disk?

From what I know, it's quite complicated and you'll need some special tools. I just recommend going for the DreamCast ISO's readily available on the internet if you want to play a backup. ISO = copy of the game that is burnable on CD-Rom and/or playable via Chankast.

copy the game to your computer into a.cdi file , then you can load it with daemon tool's , select the file with daemon tools and then create a virtual drive , select that virtual drive on chankast then go to file -> run then it should work

What GameCop said is the truth. Only certain CD/DVD-ROM drive models can read original GD-ROM discs, and only with a right firmwar update flashed. If you want to play Dreamcast games on an emulator, you need CD images or CD-R backups.

copy the game to your computer into a.cdi file , then you can load it with daemon tool's , select the file with daemon tools and then create a virtual drive , select that virtual drive on chankast then go to file -> run then it should work

Are you unable to read and/or comprehend (again)? Most regular CD/DVD drives CANNOT read GD-ROMs. You need a coder cable for your Dreamcast that lets you connect it to your PC.

actually, There is a way to run an original GD-ROM on the emulator. It requires a coders cable and a working dreamcast.

Actually this is a theory, ill explain why.

Theres a way to get your dreamcast to show up just as a Drive on your PC, So basically put a disc in, and run it off the drive, tell chankast your Dreamcast is the drive, and it can read the GD-ROM. Yay

The reason why im not sure if this will work is A. The emulator might not understand the data right. and B. I dont know if the transfer speeds are high enough to use the DC as an efficient enough drive, because it takes like 12 hours to rip a game.

The reason why im not sure if this will work is A. The emulator might not understand the data right. and B. I dont know if the transfer speeds are high enough to use the DC as an efficient enough drive, because it takes like 12 hours to rip a game.

Firstly, Hi Shiba! I've not been back here for ages (been busy completing my PAL DC game collection, real GD's btw :(), the DC forum aint as busy as it used to be! :unsure: think it's time to hang around for a while! :P

Anyway, your are correct Shiba, as you said, it takes too long to read from the drive, this is just a method by getting data from GD to the PC.

Edited by BobRedthorp