Space burgers o_O

Diso

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/science_meat_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Laboratories using new tissue engineering technology might be able to produce meat that is healthier for consumers and cut down on pollution produced by factory farming, researchers said on Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

While
NASA engineers have grown fish tissue in lab dishes, no one has seriously proposed a way to grow meat on commercial levels.

But a new study conducted by University of Maryland doctoral student Jason Matheny and his colleagues describe two possible ways to do it.

Writing in the journal Tissue Engineering, Matheny said scientists could grow cells from the muscle tissue of cattle, pigs, poultry or fish in large flat sheets on thin membranes. These sheets of cells would be grown and stretched, then removed from the membranes and stacked to increase thickness and resemble meat.

Using another method, scientists could grow muscle cells on small three-dimensional beads that stretch with small changes in temperature. The resulting tissue could be used to make processed meat such as chicken nuggets or hamburgers.

"There would be a lot of benefits from cultured meat," Matheny said in a statement. "For one thing, you could control the nutrients."

Meat is high in omega-6 fatty acid, which is desirable, but not in large amounts. Healthful omega-3 fatty acids, such as those found in walnuts and fish oils, could be substituted.

"Cultured meat could also reduce the pollution that results from raising livestock, and you wouldn't need the drugs that are used on animals raised for meat," Matheny said.

Raising livestock requires million of gallons of water and hundreds of acres of land. Meat grown from tissue would bypass those requirements.

The demand for meat is increasing worldwide, Matheny said. "China's meat demand is doubling every ten years," he said. "Poultry consumption in India has doubled in the last five years."

Writing in this month's Physics World, British physicist Alan Calvert calculated that the animals eaten by people produce 21 percent of the carbon dioxide that can be attributed to human activity. He recommends people switch to a vegetarian diet as a way to battle global warming.

"Worldwide reduction of meat production in the pursuit of the targets set in the Kyoto treaty seems to carry fewer political unknowns than cutting our consumption of fossil fuels," he said in a statement.

The Kyoto treaty is a global agreement aimed at reducing production of so-called greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide that help fuel global warming.

:blink:. The article is pretty interesting. The scientists say they can control the nutrients and stuff, but it seems like a bad thing only because it could affect the taste of the burgers. On the plus side, its a new way of getting burgers without those damn PETA getting on your case :thumbsup1:

I wonder if one day we'll be able to barbecue in space? Man, I'm already thinking of the chicken, beef, hot dogs, mmmmmm...would taste sooooo good. :D

I wonder if one day we'll be able to barbecue in space? Man, I'm already thinking of the chicken, beef, hot dogs, mmmmmm...would taste sooooo good. :D

maybe the hotdogs would plump up even more, with less gravity.

must've been some good grass you just smoked to think of that one huh?

Duuuude, I totally had a space barbeque once... It had like...franks and...cultured beef products man, yeah...

Edited by LordKanti

Duuuude, I totally had a space barbeque once... It had like...franks and...cultured beef products man, yeah...

yeaaaaaah eh, with like carne asada and cerveza and...shiit eh!

I wonder if one day we'll be able to barbecue in space? Man, I'm already thinking of the chicken, beef, hot dogs, mmmmmm...would taste sooooo good. :angry:

Actually, no.. I was very hungry at the time and I am now thinking of barbecuing some chicken, do you have a problem with that?...

Chicken-1.JPG

c00034_01.jpg

Yummmy.. very yummy.

And then we have..the chicken sandwich..

likechickensandwich.jpg

Add Bacon..

32824.jpg

Add a slice of Swiss Cheese..

Swiss_cheese.jpg

Ohhh..guacomole...

Guacamole.jpg

And lastly... fried onion rings..

onion_rings.jpg

Don't forget to add some ranch dressing on the side...

dressing_ranch.jpg

(Get regular, buttermilk has too much fat)

And LASTLY...

fries.jpg

Now imagine that.. all in space... mama mia!

emeril_lagasse.jpg

.... * GameCop goes to McDonalds's....

McDonald's sucks. Go to Wendy's instead.

Wendy's beef tastes like a pile of crap mixed with cut onions and a side of nacho cheesy doritos. :angry: