What game do you think has the best storyline?

Diso

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that games don't need a story to be fun, but stories (If they are good) usually amplify the fun, and are sometimes needed (RPGs would suck without a story). A good story is the reason that Final Fnatasy 3/6 is my favorite game. But as long as the game has fun enough gameplay, then a story really isn't needed.

:rolleyes: i get your point agozer , but i reckon rpg "have" to have storylines in them , otherwise it wouldnt really be a good rpg o.o would it ! but most of my fav gc games and ps2 games have a good storie line eg. ff10 , dmc3 resident evil 4

I think that games don't need a story to be fun, but stories (If they are good) usually amplify the fun, and are sometimes needed (RPGs would suck without a story). A good story is the reason that Final Fnatasy 3/6 is my favorite game. But as long as the game has fun enough gameplay, then a story really isn't needed.

Yeah that's about right. Stories are needed in RPGs because they are basically story driven games. Obviously I don't mind stories in games where that is nearlly the only focus but thinking stories are essential in other genres like FPSs and Action games is daft.

I personally don't like RPGs because I prefer classic gamey games such as fighting games, racing games and light gun games (and lots of others) where the main focus is trying to better yourself and beat others (head to head or for the highest scores ect). But I do see the appeal of RPGs - they are just not games to me.

Written by pathetetic technical minded game developers who don't know jack sh!t about creativity. If you have any sense, you are just cringing with each line and event. If the game developers could make films they would be doing, but they have to settle for including their crap stories in a medium they have no respect for.

Did you just say that game developers have no creativity??? I'm afraid you lose all credibility on that statement.

And, yes, most games still need stories. If suddenly all games had no stories or backgrounds I'd just quit playing... because what would be the point? All you would be left with is straight mulitplayer games, puzzle games, and maybe some fighters and racers. Great single player games are already a dying art and losing the stories would basically finish them all off. It's truly sad that there are people like you who think this way. Go read some books and broaden your mind. Please!

Edited by Thraxen

The Legacy Of Kain series. Right from the very first game the plot has just been really thick, it's one of those series' I enjoy playing just for the plot, and I don't even really pay any attention to the graphics. Likewise gameplay takes a back seat, even though in every game the gameplay has been pretty damn good.

There are plenty of other games I really liked following along with the story.....too many actually, but I'll name a few that come to mind.

TES III - Morrowind (If you take the time to immerse yourself and really play it)

Max Payne

Final Fantasy VII and VIII

I think the best storylines come from RPGs or Action/Adventure games, as really without a story to drive those genres......you don't have a game.

I personally don't like RPGs because I prefer classic gamey games such as fighting games, racing games and light gun games (and lots of others) where the main focus is trying to better yourself and beat others (head to head or for the highest scores ect). But I do see the appeal of RPGs - they are just not games to me.

That right there made your whole argument laughable.

Edited by Max

Written by pathetetic technical minded game developers who don't know jack sh!t about creativity. If you have any sense, you are just cringing with each line and event. If the game developers could make films they would be doing, but they have to settle for including their crap stories in a medium they have no respect for.

Did you just say that game developers have no creativity??? I'm afraid you lose all credibility on that statement.

And, yes, most games still need stories. If suddenly all games had no stories or backgrounds I'd just quit playing... because what would be the point? All you would be left with is straight mulitplayer games, puzzle games, and maybe some fighters and racers. Great single player games are already a dying art and losing the stories would basically finish them all off. It's truly sad that there are people like you who think this way. Go read some books and broaden your mind. Please!

I think you're missing his point. He's trying to say that not all games need stories, not that stories should be removed from all games. He's also saying that he prefers multiplayer games over single player games, not that that's all that should exist. He clearly stated that RPGs need stories, because they are story driven, as opposed to nearly every other genre of game (which are all gameplay driven). He's also stated the quality of backstories, and the merit of having a game simply having a story, rather than a story being shoved down your throat. Lastly, he's said that stories belong in movies and books, as the point of that form of media is to tell a story, and the point of a game is interaction.

Even fighting games need stories, even if it's a shiitty one about some silver thing fighting people.