emulation

alexis

i was thinking about the whole emu scene and i can´t believe that so much power is required to emulate the consoles i think that maybe the whole thing is having a wring aproach, if a 300mhz cpu and a normal gfx is needed for playing sega gt for example then why a 800mhz is needed to emulate it and only at 5 to 8 fps. First of all i doon´t think it is right to use winfdows as the standard os for emus and then i think that emus are made on the easiest way possible and not the more effective. IU wonder how emus are programmed, using visual basic oor visual c++? i am positive that if emus were made for dos their power would increase a lot and it doesn´t have to be a pre ww2 proggie, it is perfectly possible to make it with a col visual interface, and then if you add it some more effecitve programming it owuld be even better, but using just dos will do a lot of difference. Whhat do you guys think?

I completely agree with you but many people these days don't use and don't know how to use DOS. I can cuz I had a crappy computer when I was a kid and I used the hell out of DOS.

I just think these emus won't get much response.

Thank you,

I dont understand the mechanics but surely youve answered your own question, if youre emulating a 300mhz processor then you need 300mhz to be that processor on top of the mhz required to actually emulate that processor, then youve got extra mhz required to emulate graphics chipset, sound chipset and any further chips and further mhz to translate the rom image. Thats got to add up to near requirements hasnt it, or am i way off mark and out of my depth?

But i do agree a dos emulator would require less resources and probably be a better product, the only drawback though is no quick 10 min sessions on (insert game here).

And... I gotta say that since emulators dont cost anything the least users can do is be happy with what we're given, sure we can request extra bits and pieces but quibbling over resources is pushing things. If it works dont knock it, is what i was always taught!

i think i can some what visualise it. basically your processor has to compute an entire system and at the same time run it at the clock speed as the internal components. in that aspect you would need a faster processor to run all those things at that ideal clock speed. if the cpu only had to emulate the console cpu then it would be much faster. thas how they mange to get psx emulation down to such a minimum. i think VGS is the lowest but it saly has a very low resolutiona and only ises software emulation. i remember remakin about needing a p2 to run a SNes game smooth. 200mhz to run something that ran on cheap as cpu. yet thats emulation. maybe one day we will get a genius with a new outlook on emulation and revoultionise it and the way its is programmed.

I think it may be that the programmers are so busy adding in extra options and in some cases support for extra games that they have no time left over to work on optomising the code for lower requirements.

Out of interest how many emulators are actually the finished object and require no further updating? The only ones I can think of are either still actually being worked on or are in this state because their authors have had enough and stopped working on their emulator.