Double clicking folders

Hi, I recently tried to change what icon the default folder in Windows XP looks for.( I wanted grey folders instead of yellow). Anyway - when I double click a folder, it opens a search window instead.

When I right-click a folder, Seatch is at the top of the list in bold, and open is further down. How do I get it back so that Opening a folder is the default action?

Thanks.

Try this: Go to Folder Options in the Control Panel. Click on the Filetypes tab and select Folder. Now click on the Advanced... button (or whatever it's called) on the lower-right corner and then look at the command associations.

What do you have listed there?

Actually... Go to the registry editor and to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

What other keys (folders) are are listed under shell? The contents of the shell key and every adjacent key is extremely important.

Try this: Go to Folder Options in the Control Panel. Click on the Filetypes tab and select Folder. Now click on the Advanced... button (or whatever it's called) on the lower-right corner and then look at the command associations.

What do you have listed there?

Actually... Go to the registry editor and to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

What other keys (folders) are are listed under shell? The contents of the shell key and every adjacent key is extremely important.

Sorry for the late reply. Under Directory/Shell I only have 4 options - find, Winamp.Bookmark, Winamp.Enqueue and WinAmp.Play.

What do you suggest now?

Thanks

Go to Tools->Folder Options->File Types-> [NONE] Folder click advanced then click on the "open" option and click set as default then OK out of it all, see if that works.

I tried that but there are 2 folder file types - folder and file folder. I can set folder to default open but open isn't an option with file folder.

I don't know what the difference between folder and file fodler is, but the file folder must be the most important as that is the one that cannot open without right-clicking the folder first. I don't know why the hell there is an option to search a folder when it is double clicked - it's completely useless.

BTW - I'm sorry for all the late replies but I cannot check it all the time because it's my secondary PC that is affected and I only use it at University.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...