[07/06/05] Nitroball

Game: Nitroball

System: Arcade

Emulators: MAME

Nitroball, released by Data East in 1992, is a strange mixture between pinball, and William's Smash TV. Players must battle their way through 5 themed playfields, each littered with enemies, bunkers, ramps, and of course, fabulous prizes and cash!

nitr0000.png

This is how Arena Football should really be!

While this game does have an interesting premise, it falls short of attaining excellence in any form. The graphics, while not really bad, are nothing to gawk over, even by 1992 standards.

nitr0001.png

Maybe John Elway saw this in the end zone his first couple of Super Bowls.

The controls are simple, and in fact, I'm glad Data East went with one joystick and 2 button layout over the dual joystick setup in games like Smash TV. One button is for your standard fire, and the second releases a "bomb" which consists of your player spinning around firing glowing orbs in a spiral. The controls are responsive, but often times you'll find yourself running smack into an enemy while avoiding the shots from another, or visa versa.

nitr0002.png

The Ghostbuster they never show in the movies.

The sound is fair, nothing more or less. I think I enjoyed the few quips the announcer spouted out from time to time more than anything.

nitr0003.png

Herbie dishes out the prizes.

Gameplay consists of running around shooting the two or three types of enemies that roam each Stage, making your way to a boss. Along the way, you can shoot bumpers and other pinball related objects to gain boats, houses, gold, and other prizes that can boost your score considerably. You can also find 3 weapons beside your normal fire scattered throughout each stage: Ring Laser, Flamethrower, and Missile. If you grab a powerup labeled with a "B", your character will roll up into a ball, and bounce wildly around the screen, knocking out enemies. It's not really as fun as it sounds though, as you have seemingly little control over his movement while in this mode. Somewhere in each stage, you have access to a "mini-game" which usually has you trying to shoot so many enemies(or rolling them into tubes or holes) as you can in a time limit. Succeed, and you can get tons of items to add to your score.

nitr0004.png

Back when Nitroball was released, it probably would have been fun for a few quarters, mainly to those who loved Smash TV and the like. Thanks to MAME, you can drop as many coins into it as you like, and enjoy, hate, or be indifferent to the 15-20 minute ride it'll give you.

Control: 7

Gameplay:6

Graphics:5

Sound: 4

Overall: 5.5

Grade: F

Overall I give this game a thumbs down

I think it's fascinating how arcade games in the past had superb graphics when at the same time, the graphics and home consoles were noticeable inferior.

Yeah, I know, if home onsoles would have used the same graphics chips, their prices would have been astronomical.