XboX Virgin Needs Help

NeoMaster

Hello friends. I have a PS2 and Gamecube but for some very odd reason never picked up a XboX. There are quite a few games that are simply too irresistable to pass up and I plan to get a modded xbox soon.

But before I do, I am just wonder, is the xbox backup friendly as the PS2?

Like, I consider PS2 to be wonders if you have the chip. Just plop a disc into your drive, copy or write from an image and then you can play it on your system.

Is the Xbox like that with all chips?

My friend had a modded xbox but he couldn't play backup games until he "flashed" it or some crap.

Well, toodle ooo.

I presume it is very easy eh? So I just rip and burn the games with alcohol and no need for special patches and such?

Sounds good, Im definately going to get one.

DOA Beach Volleyball here I come!

yeah neomaster it's really easy once you get your xbox set up.

the main hangup with xbox backups is media. the different drives that ms uses are picky and some will not play certain types of media (mine doesn't boot cd-r or dvd+r but boots dvd-r and cd-rw fine) grab yourself a bigger harddrive and you will be in heaven.

so here is how it gererally goes. get an xbox and a chip

the chip will be flashed with a linux bios for legal reasons. grab a hacked bios, I recommend the latest xecuter bios.

flash your chip with a flasher or in the xbox from a cd/dvd or http (http flash is super easy) install a dash and a few apps like dvd2xbox for putting games on the harddrive. dvdx for no dongle/remote dvd movie viewing, and xbmc for all kinds of cool stuff. as a newb to xbox I'd suggest getting unleashx or avalaunch as your dash oh and a chip isn't mandatory. softmads work just as good. I softmodded my sisters xbox and it is super stable and runs what ever you throw at it.

That's super cool.

But I don't really need to install a dash and those other programs do I? That's for the more super savvy xbox owners. Most of the games I'll play will be from burnt discs so I won't need the hard drive upgrade. Correct?

I don't reccomend softmodding, you are flashing the onboard TSOP and if ANYTHING goes wrong, you have yourself a dead Xbox motherboard. Spend the money on something like an Xecuter 2.6 if you don't want to/can't afford something better like an Xecuter 3, if something goes wrong during the flash.......at least theres ways around that, screw up the TSOP and it's game over.

That's super cool.

But I don't really need to install a dash and those other programs do I? That's for the more super savvy xbox owners. Most of the games I'll play will be from burnt discs so I won't need the hard drive upgrade. Correct?

yeah if all you want to do is play burnt dvds all you need is a chip and flash it with the latest xecuter bios. and it'll play them. then as you want to get more into it you can do the other upgrades, and apps

I gotta tell you a well set up xbox running xbmc is a sight to behold.

Ahhh..so many acronyms..head hurting.

Well, let's start off with the basics.

Im going to get a xbox.

Then have it chipped (recommendations on which ones are good please?)

Then have it flashed and hope nothing xplodes.

Edited by NeoMaster

xecuter2.6 is a good chip. any newer xecuter bios is fine but you will need to know if your xbox is v1.6 or if it is a lower version

the 1.6 has to have a different bios then the others afaik

I don't reccomend softmodding, you are flashing the onboard TSOP and if ANYTHING goes wrong, you have yourself a dead Xbox motherboard. Spend the money on something like an Xecuter 2.6 if you don't want to/can't afford something better like an Xecuter 3, if something goes wrong during the flash.......at least theres ways around that, screw up the TSOP and it's game over.

softmods dont always conclude to tsop...............me = audio hack

Ahhh..so many acronyms..head hurting.

Well, let's start off with the basics.

Im going to get a xbox.

Then have it chipped (recommendations on which ones are good please?)

Then have it flashed and hope nothing xplodes.

Modchips are cheap with so many different manufacturers now. I'd say invest in a Xecuter 2.6 (http://www.teamxecuter.com/) as they're cheap ($35 US + $5 S&H) and easy to install.

If you can afford it, I'd say shoot for a larger hard drive. They are extremely easy to install and for your most popular games, it would be wise to put them on the HDD locally. This will drastically cut down on load time, so you'll have alot less waiting.

I can't even play games on my Xbox anymore on disc due to the long load times.

As for setting everything up, get Slayers Evox Installer (http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/). It will do all of the setup for you, from setting up apps to formatting the new HDD.