FF9 : Can it be finished?

Max

Sup,

I would just like to know if its possible to play this game from start to finish on VGS or Epsxe? In a way that you can enjoy the game and aren't flooded with glitches/probs.

- Thanks

EDIT: If you have finished it then please list the settings/plugins you used,

Edited by Max

RADEON 9200 SE Family

2.99 Ghz

512 ram

XP

I tried the link but I get a boatload of slowdown the moment I load the CD (NTSC I think). The slowdown is both in terms of video and sound, using Epsxe 1.52. There was so much slowdown that I gave up and didn't even wait till the game started (I like my FFs with FMVs). The first plugin mentioned there gave me the slowdown while the second gave me an error and screwed up my monitor's resolution.

Any help would be very appreciated.

For one thing, try upgrading to ePSXe 1.60, which includes an updated helpfile. FMV may never be perfect, but you can try speeding it up by checking 'XA sound enable' in the SPU plugin and then 'Desync audio' tab in the GFX (depends on plugins).

Who knows maybe the Direct3D plugin might work better on your 9200 than the OpenGL one. If all else fails, the only usable video plugin would be P.E.Op.S. Software, but it's slower than OpenGL and Direct3D.

What resolution are you using btw? At least your overall systems specs can handle PSX emulation very well.

• 3 weeks later...

A slight correction, even the start/continue menu is extremely slow and not only the FMVs when I use OpenGL (the resolution is great though). And this is not only with FF9, I tried Resident Evil 3 and got the same exact slowdown when using this plugin. That being said though this plugin seems to work the best of the bunch for this game.

I tried Direct3D and it crashed on me.

My screen monitor resolution is 1024x768.

At least your overall systems specs can handle PSX emulation very well.

Thats good to hear.

P.S. I apologize for the absence.

I don't know about VGS that much, but I do know that it's possibly the only PSX emulator that tries to emulate the PSX like the original hardware. That means all software routines and no 3D acceleration whatsoever.

Does lowering the resolution help? What options you use with the OpenGL2 plugin?

Nope lowering the resolution didn't help (tried OpenGL and 2). For the OpenGL2 settings I followed the intructions from that site you posted. When I try OpenGL2 I get the error "No GWL extentions!" or something of the like.

Edited by Max

"No GWL extentions!" or something of the like.

"No WGL Extensions" is a common error message for those whose video card doesn't support advanced (DirectX9) pixel shaders, Radeon 9200 SE being the prime example. Disable 'Use pixel-shader for PSX Texture Window Emulation' and 'Shader effects' options.

Now we need to tackle the problem of why it is so slow...

Set the internal resolution to High only on both X and Y. Radeons only support Very High Internal Y, but I don't think your card can handle it.

Dratically drop the resolution (something like 640x480 or 800x600) and keep 16-bit colors.

Framebuffer effects is the most resource-heavy thing in all of PSX emulation. Framebuffer effects account for almost all of the special effects in games; swirls, tile effects, water effects, reflections etc. Lower this to get better performance, but you'll also lose some of the special effects in the process and some games won't work right unless they have full access to the framebuffer.

Your system has nice specs, but unfortunately, most of your problems boil down to the rather subpar graphics card.