Batman Begins

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw it, and it's quite good. Definately a giant reset-button for the "series" if you can call the movies that. It treated both heroes and villians with respect, even moreso than Burton, and something Schumacher can't even pretend to have done. It had its share of campy one-liners, but they didn't often overpower the dark feel of the film.

I had a few minor gripes, but they are all nitpicks really. They wrote a little too much new material into the history for my tastes. The actor who plays Thomas Wayne doesn't have a strong enough "presence" for his crucial part. There was something not-quite-right about the actor chosen for Alfred as well (not skinny enough, I think, and the hair..). With the mask on, Bale looks a little too much like Jay Leno.

On the other hand, there were a few pleasant surprises. I know Gary Oldman is an excellent actor, but I just couldn't see him as Gordon. He pulls it off perfectly, however, and instantly brings to mind the young Gordon from Year One. The car is a little obtrusive, and it doesn't really look batman-y, but its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Al-Ghul's Lazarus pits are handled gracefully, and in a way that should please fans while not turning away mainstream audiences. Al-Ghul and Scarecrow are both very well acted - I was afraid Watanabe was going to look silly, but he pulls it off perfectly.

Now, I just hope they forget all about the older films and make the sequel that this one begs for with as much respect.

I'm going today, should I go to see it in IMAX or a regular theater? I've never seen an IMAX film before. lemme know quick!

ok sold the Imax show starts at 6:00 so I got some time to kill. maybe I'll go see my mom and get some downloads started! whoever said nothing in life is free never used p2p!

heheh

Saw the movie Wednesday night. Excellent at capturing the Batman feeling. Although the plot was very simple, it had no holes and the movie was very 'immersive' in Batman's psyche - that alone makes it better than pretty much all of the Marvel films.

I especially liked the new designs of the suit/batmobile - Gotham is a little more stylized this time around (monorail, bridges, etc.) and all the angles in the shots create atmosphere. Overall, great.

P.S. - I remember Al-Ghul from the Batman cartoons i watched as a kid, but does anyone know the last time Dr. Crane appeared in a Batman show/comic?

Saw the movie Wednesday night.  Excellent at capturing the Batman feeling.  Although the plot was very simple, it had no holes and the movie was very 'immersive' in Batman's psyche - that alone makes it better than pretty much all of the Marvel films. 

I especially liked the new designs of the suit/batmobile - Gotham is a little more stylized this time around (monorail, bridges, etc.) and all the angles in the shots create atmosphere.  Overall, great.

P.S. - I remember Al-Ghul from the Batman cartoons i watched as a kid, but does anyone know the last time Dr. Crane appeared in a Batman show/comic?

Crane was in the cartoons (The ones they used to show on Fox around the same time period as Animaniacs), as well as the only semi-recent comic arc I've read (HUSH..ugh).

Gotham was a little weird this time. It's definately not Tim Burton's purely-gothic image. It's more like a modern day big city, with the glass high-rises and all, but grittier and with a decidedly gothic sense of detail.

It's on par with the recent Spiderman films, in my opinion. Batman Begins does better with the psyche, like a much improved take on the kind of emotional exploration popular in mid/late 90's comics. The action in it, however, is not all that great (lots of really close up elbows and things, not enough visible fighting). The Spiderman films do better in terms of pure, silly, golden-age comic book action, but the emotional aspects just don't work as well.

Gotham was a little weird this time. It's definately not Tim Burton's purely-gothic image. It's more like a modern day big city, with the glass high-rises and all, but grittier and with a decidedly gothic sense of detail.

I agree, i think the designers may have been going for an 'eastern' feel this time, with the monorail and the aerial shots of the slum-like narrows (gotham - hong kong maybe?). Also, I sense a little origami in the design of the Batmobile, and of course Batman's shurikens and bladed gauntlets are eastern weapons (taken straight from Wayne's League of Shadows ninja suit). Perhaps the mask is meant to resemble a kabuki prop?

Thanks also for the Crane info daeval.

I agree, i think the designers may have been going for an 'eastern' feel this time, with the monorail and the aerial shots of the slum-like narrows (gotham - hong kong maybe?). Also, I sense a little origami in the design of the Batmobile, and of course Batman's shurikens and bladed gauntlets are eastern weapons (taken straight from Wayne's League of Shadows ninja suit). Perhaps the mask is meant to resemble a kabuki prop?

Thanks also for the Crane info daeval.

so batman is a ninja??

so batman is a ninja??

No, he's Superman. Why don't you just watch the movie and find out? :(

I just saw the movie and I thought it was by far in the ranks of the first Batman. Christian Bale was the perfect person for the part IMO. From the moment I saw him in Equilibrium, I knew he'd be in a super hero movie. However, even though he was also in American Psycho as well. ;)

I thought this was the best super hero movie I've ever seen. Even better than that cheesy Spiderman. :banghead: