Xbox Q's

1InuYasha

here we go!

1.my xbox had a power surge problem an its not turning on anymore but i'am getting a next 1 and i was wondering if i could take my hdd an place it in the new 1-because i have alot of save games on it also my 2 xbox live accounts ?

2.i have a modchip xecuters 2.6 ce solderless and what do you think my chances are of getting a xbox above 1.1 but under a 1.6 version motherboard and a good dvd-rom drive like samsung.

3.Now 4 the Ps2-I have a brand new ps2 slimline what i got the other day and i was wondering could it take mod-chips an explain more of your answer-and what are the benefits of the slimline.

4.my brother has a dvd player in his car but it doesn't play that much dvd's i'am thinking because of the region,but he is thinking of getting a ps2 to fill in 4 the dvd player but i was telling him that it wouldn't make much of a difference unless he has a mod-chip installed 2 adjust the region problem right ? and if i'am right is there any way of working around this in terms of a dvd player or by a game system.

Thank Yoooouuuuuuuu

1.my xbox had a power surge problem an its not turning on anymore but i'am getting a next 1 and i was wondering if i could take my hdd an place it in the new 1-because i have alot of save games on it also my 2 xbox live accounts ?

Well, did you back up your eeprom and/or HDD password to your PC? If you did not and your XBox is now dead, then there is no way to use your HDD anymore because it is still locked with no way to unlock it. The HDD is locked with a key generated from your eeprom (on the mobo) and from the HDD itself. So the mobo and HDD are tied together and the HDD can only be used with that mobo while it is locked.

But there is an exception... did you lock your HDD using ConfigMagic? If so, the HDD can be unlocked using the master password "TEAMASSEMBLY".

Now, if you did back up your eeprom or password then you should be able to unlock it using some utilities that you can run on your PC (like hddunlock) that will unlock your HDD using the back-up of your eeprom.

But you won't be able to use the HDD on your new XBox if you wind up with a 1.6 Xbox. If you do you will get banned. This is according to what is known as the "marriage theory". To summarize the theory, when you sign up for Live your HDD and eeprom are tied together. If either one changes but the other remains the same, you get banned. But if you can unlock the HDD you should be able to put the old drive in the new XBox, back-up your saves from the E: drive to your PC, put in a new HDD, and then load your saves onto the new HDD. You will likely have to go through the Live Account Recovery process to get your accounts back on your new XBox.

If you did back-up your eeprom and your new XBox is a v1.0-1.5 then you can load your old eeprom on the new XBox (using ConfigMagic) along with your original HDD and you won't be banned and you will still have all your saves and Live accounts. The moral of the story: Always back-up your eeprom!

2.i have a modchip xecuters 2.6 ce solderless and what do you think my chances are of getting a xbox above 1.1 but under a 1.6 version motherboard and a good dvd-rom drive like samsung.

Not sure. If you go to a store and buy a new one you are very likely to get a 1.6. Your best bet to get a non-1.6 would be to get a used one somewhere. There is no sure method for determining the version without opening the XBox up, but you may be able get a good guess using this guide: Link

As for the DVD drive... again, your best bet is to go to a place that sells used systems. Tell them you want them to plug it in and show you it works. Then open the drive and look at the DVD tray. You can tell what drive it is by looking at the tray. There are 4 drive types... see here: Link

3.Now 4 the Ps2-I have a brand new ps2 slimline what i got the other day and i was wondering could it take mod-chips an explain more of your answer-and what are the benefits of the slimline.

Yes, you can put modchips in the slimline PS2 (PSTwo). Here is an example: Link

I have a modded PS2, but it's an older V4 so I don't really know much about which chips can and can't be used in the slimline PS2s. As for the advantages... well, it comes with an ethernet port and modem built-in and it's nice and small :P The one disadvantage it has it that you can't use an HDD with it.

4.my brother has a dvd player in his car but it doesn't play that much dvd's i'am thinking because of the region,but he is thinking of getting a ps2 to fill in 4 the dvd player but i was telling him that it wouldn't make much of a difference unless he has a mod-chip installed 2 adjust the region problem right ? and if i'am right is there any way of working around this in terms of a dvd player or by a game system.

I'm not sure about your brother's system. What sort of DVDs is he trying to play in it? If he is buying all his DVDs in local stores then it's not likely to be a region problem since they should all be the same region (unless he is buying from some sort of import store). Again, I'm not sure about the PS2, but I think you are right about the modchip. The XBox works that way. Without a mod chip you can only play DVDs that are the same region as the XBox. With a modchip you can play DVDs from any region.

Edited by Thraxen

here we go!

Isn't this your third xbox in as many months?!

but like Madi said it's prolly your psu which you can get here.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/parts.htm