torrent question

suvo

Oh, even the average user needs a firewall nowadays, no matter how up-to-date and optimized their system is. It's hardly moronic to use one.

Yes, I haven't been attacked either, but I still wouldn't trust a system that hasn't got a decent firewall up and running. The thing about the attacks is that 9 of 10 times the user doesn't even know that he/she was attacked, nor will there be any traces of an attack.

And yes, transfer speeds are calculated in kilobits per second, not kilobytes per second.

Any hacker with a brain wouldn't waste their time on a personal user, theres no fun in that.... Script kiddies on the other hand exploit things that are the end users fault for leaving themselves vulnerable to in the first place.

To each his own I guess, but when you can't use your firewall properly and you're whining that something isn't working, you shouldn't even own a computer if you ask me. Take it back to the store.

True, but most "hackers" just want to see whatthey can do with the software they have, so they go to look for the easiest targets forst - namely the regular users. Only a few go so far as to actually attacking the intranet of a large firm or a corporation.

What's also true is that people should learn how to use their firewalls and virusscanners and how to configure them to be the most effective.

Uh, people go after regular internet denizens all the time. They do that to build up zombie botnets. But yeah most firewall software is as much a hinderance as it is a help. I just have my router set for some minimal protection and don't bother with the computer. I think a better solution is to just back stuff up a lot. Not like a firewall can provide foolproof protection. Better to just backup stuff in case you are really screwed.

As for bittorrent... if you are on dsl, it might depend on your modem. If it is a 2wire modem, don't bother trying torrents! I never got decent speeds on any torrents or p2p software until I switched off my old 2wire modem. My new modem is much better.

Uh, people go after regular internet denizens all the time.  They do that to build up zombie botnets.  But yeah most firewall software is as much a hinderance as it is a help.  I just have my router set for some minimal protection and don't bother with the computer.  I think a better solution is to just back stuff up a lot.  Not like a firewall can provide foolproof protection.  Better to just backup stuff in case you are really screwed.

As for bittorrent... if you are on dsl, it might depend on your modem.  If it is a 2wire modem, don't bother trying torrents! I never got decent speeds on any torrents or p2p software until I switched off my old 2wire modem.  My new modem is much better.

I go good speed when I had a 2wire modem (which was for about a month)

I have to disagree with the whole firewall = moron thing too. Average users get attacked for any number of reasons, and it's not always by ignorant script kiddies. Regardless of who the attacker is, they could do some serious harm even if your AV and other software are updated and optimized, so why take the risk?

Now, would I ever in a million years recommend a software firewall? No.

And for suvo:

Torrents are funny things. You'll want to make sure your firewall is probably configured, but it could also just be a dead torrent. Torrents rely on many people downloading/seeding at once. If it's not a really popular file, speeds can fluctuate or bottom out rather randomly.