Why different versions of same game?

I'm using Kawaks, and I notice so many different version of the same game, and the both play/work the same.

Example is one of the mslug.. i think it's mslug3, it has the normal version, and the "decrypted version".

Or like I have some fighting games that say "set 1" and "set 2".

What do all these mean, and if they are the same game, why have different types?

Thanks.

( I did do a search, but couldn't find the "meaning" of what they meant. and the search gave me 11 pages or so....)

A decrypted is...a decrypted set. You see, when ROMs are dumped they are encrypted. To be run on Kawaks, they need to be decrypted. However, encrypted versions of old games usually run on Kawaks.

The Set 1 and Set 2 stuff are just different sets. Set 1 is the real Garou. I think Set 2 might have a different language or something, I don't know.

I honestly haven't found any differences in Garou's Set 1 and Set 2. I flockling hate clone sets. Long story short, SNK started using new encryption methods in their arcade boards around 1999.

Encrypted sets are considerably larger than decrypted sets because encrypted roms do not compress well.

I've heard this:

Since 1999 neogeo roms are encrypted. And emulators(Kawaks, Nebula, MAME and FBA) are decrypting those encrypted roms while loading them. Those encrypted roms (original sets??) are required for accurate emulation !?

However there are decrypted versions of those encrypted roms. Some of them are playable under NRX.

My question is : How BIG is the differnce between those encrypted (original, correct sets) and those decrypted (not correct) sets?

For example i have some nrx working mslug5 set and encrypted mslug5 that works under mame and i haven't notice any difference...

There aren't any differences, provided that the original encrypted roms weren't altered in any way other that just to decrypt them. You're right about the other things you said.

Encrpyted sets are only "true to the original" because the roms were encrypyted on the arcade board as well.

There aren't any differences, provided that the original encrypted roms weren't altered in any way other that just to decrypt them. You're right about the other things you said.

Encrpyted sets are only "true to the original" because the roms were encrpyted on the arcade board as well.

Oh ok.. so the "decrypted" roms are there just for emulators that don't decrypt that well?

Encrypted sets are only "true to the original" because the roms were encrypted on the arcade board as well.

Oh ok.. so the "decrypted" roms are there just for emulators that don't decrypt that well?

Yes, this is how I've understood it.