Ok lets start this off by saying, I'm getting one. A Qoob Pro.

This is kinda old news, it's been posted in other places like.......a month ago, at least. And theres a couple reviews floating around. But I saw no mention of it here, so I'm gonna give it a go.

http://www.qoobchip.com/

There are 2 versions of the chip, I'll list em and their features below.

Qoob Pro

Features:

+ Direct boot of all media, without swapping!

+ Supports all regions PAL / USA / JAP

+ On-board MP3 Player included

+ Super easy USB upgrade system (USB transfer cable included)

+ DVD Disc upgradeable

+ Network(*) upgradeable

+ Bios selection/control supported

+ Supports all retail hardware (DOL-001 USA, JPN, EUR and DOL-101)

+ Fastboot of original discs

+ Compatible with "GCOS" and other IPL replacements, allowing homebrew development via SD card (**) and/or network (*)

+ Comfortable easy to use Windows PC flash software (in download section)

+ Supports homebrew and open-source coding

+ Integrated media compatabilty check (checks all sectors of inserted media)

+ Streaming Audio Fix

+ Integrated status LED

+ Easy Installation, only 6 wires (no soldering on qoob chip required, special cable included)

+ Multicolor graphical user interface for easy operation

+ Supports Mini/DVD-R, Mini/DVD+R

+ 16MBit on-board Flash to store homebrew applications

+ High secure - low power Actel FPGA

+ Packed in a stable carboard box including all wires, 3D Sticker and USB transfer cable

(*) BBA required

(**) SD card adapter required

Qoob SX

+ Supports direct boot of all media, without swapping!

+ Supports all regions PAL / USA / JAP

+ DVD Disc upgradeable

+ Network(*) upgradeable

+ Bios selection/control supported

+ Supports all retail hardware (DOL-001 USA, JPN, EUR and DOL-101)

+ Fastboot of original discs

+ Compatible with other IPL replacements, allowing homebrew development via SD card (**) and/or network (*)

+ Supports homebrew and open-source coding

+ Integrated media compatabilty check (checks all sectors of inserted media)

+ Streaming Audio Fix

+ Easy Installation, only 6 wires (no soldering on qoob chip required, special cable included)

+ Multicolor graphical user interface for easy operation

+ 1MBit on-board Flash to store homebrew applications

+ High secure - low power Actel FPGA

+ Including ESD-bag, installationwires and 3D Sticker

(*) BBA required

(**) SD card adapter required

Ok so after checking out reviews, and going over the features and specs for the chips. It's safe to say that if you're interested in nothing more than playing your backups, go with an SX. If you're interested in Dev'ing or doing more with your Cube (ie: Storing multiple DOL files right on the chip for whatever reason) OR you simply want the extra "stuff" get a Pro.

From reading reviews, this chip seems to be considerably better than a Viper. But I am having a hard time finding ALOT of info, particularly some newer reviews since the 1.1 bios was released.

The MP3 player thing seems pretty cool, but it's of no interest to me really. I do however want the 16Mbit flash and the USB programmer, as it just provides more options on what to do with the chip, and makes it easier to flash.

I'll post back with more info and a complete review after I've obtained and fitted this thing in my Cube.

well i'm sold, i bought the pro version with the gamebit driver and a 5pk of mini dvd-rs for a total of $83.

this was foundmy.com's bundle #1 which seemed worth it for the mini dvd-rs.

odd enough, there site has a reseller for usa but yet they only sell viper mods :devilboy: lucky enogh i bought from foundmy.com before and got my stuff quick even tho they are in canada :)

well i'm sold, i bought the pro version with the gamebit driver and a 5pk of mini dvd-rs for a total of $83.

this was foundmy.com's bundle #1 which seemed worth it for the mini dvd-rs.

odd enough, there site has a reseller for usa but yet they only sell viper mods :banghead: lucky enogh i bought from foundmy.com before and got my stuff quick even tho they are in canada :clapping:

I'm from Canada, and theres no way in hell I'm buying from Foundmy.com......I've already decided on Eurasia, it's gonna cost me $64 incl shipping by getting it from them.

My chip was shipped yesterday, as soon as it gets here I'll be installing it and testing it.

After that I'll give my personal opinion on it.

Prican25, I'd appreciate it if you'd share your opinion too once you have yours, it'd add a bit more to this topic to let people make a more informed decision regarding this chip.

Good call. I'm seriously thinking of modding my GCN with something and I'd like to hear more input from you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally here, I just have to go pick it up from the post office.

Took awhile, but what can you expect with Regular Air Mail shipping.....from Thailand?

More on this when I get back with it and install.