PlayStation 3 Officially Announced for 2006

Gryph

Hahaha! Must have home products. In other news, could this be the price of the PS3?

According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.

Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2. If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty price for the high-end functionality.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615745p1.html

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sony better ask 3do and snk how well 500 dollar systems sell in the u.s.

Didn't the PS2 launch at $500?

500$ @ PS2 Launch? I remember something like 300$...

Anyhow... It seems like a wonderful game machine. If it continues a good quality and variety of games i'll be getting it for sure.

500$ is a lot... but hell, i've spend 500+ on computer components before. :D

Ok, I read wrong. It was $299.

But yeah, the price isn't a huge sticking point to me since as a PC gamer paying a lot for hardware is nothing new. :D But $465 will shut out a lot of people. By then I bet Microsoft will do their first price cut of the XBOX 360 along with the launch of Halo 3 to really stick it to Sony.

I think $299 is the ceiling for a successful console launch.

3DO: 500 bucks = failed

Neo Geo: 500 bucks = never got mainstream

Saturn: 400 bucks = failed :D

everyone knows $199 is the sweetspot.

as for pc's costing more, true but most people don't think of a pc as a game machine, even if all they do is play solitaire and check e-mail with it they still think that thier $1000 purchase is valid. because of what they "could" do with it.

a $500 dollar console is a totally different beast to the average consumer.

i will agree with u on that griff since bill has the money to throw around like that to take a cut to stick it to sony. i mean if u can get a billbox and halo 3 for under 300 if not lower that that and look at the ps3 by it self for 500. which will the casual gamer go for. i dont care 500 or what ever im getting a ps3 at launch.

Saturn was a tight system.

I'm going to get the most of the next gen systems for sure, but not out of the box, more along the lines in the used territory. Mostly because, I don't want to put money in Sony's pocket.

Yeah, Microsoft can afford to take a hit on each console just like it did in the past generation, only ONE quarter brought in profit and that was when Halo 2 was released. It began to lose money right after than again. :D

Yeah, Microsoft can afford to take a hit on each console just like it did in the past generation, only ONE quarter brought in profit and that was when Halo 2 was released. It began to lose money right after than again. :D

u guys tend to forget that sony is one of the largest companys in the world. Hell what percent of electronics do they make? Like i said before sony is money hungry. Look at the ps2.. its selling for 150 the same price as the xbox and we all know the xbox hardware is more expensive.

dont act like sony dosnt have enough money.... they are fing rich bastards.

sony is the MS of the japan... hell they are the MS of electronics all together.

Edited by Bluestinger X