PlayStation 3 Officially Announced for 2006

Gryph

Today was Sony's pre-E3 unveiling of the PlayStation 3: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a detachable 2.5 inch HDD.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.. I wonder how the 3.2 cell is going to stack up against the other systems' multiple power-pc based chips (speculated for NR). Seems like it wouldn't have killed them to kick the system RAM up to 512, but I'll see what they can do with it before I start bitching.

What's an SD slot?

And 7 controllers? 7? Why not a nice even-teams 8? That said.. bluetooth = sexy.

And you left out this beauty:

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. <snip> The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

Sony is known for over-exaggarating(sp?) the true specs, but damn, that's impressive. Hell, I'm so getting this when it's more than a year old.

i kno i love the black too~! and i was thinkin the exact same thing with the spiderman font haha. its a sony thing i dont know...i love it though. looks way better than xbox 360 to me...i love new console season~!

actually, i like both systems. bc the xbox to the 360 was such a drastic change in looks. im so conflicted... <_<

Edited by BoomBa_GoosE