Xbox360 questions....

SF2MJ

Is it backwards compatible with the current Xbox?

If it is...does that mean as soon as a chip is released for it , we will be able to simply put in for example a mamedox dvd-r with games and play it?.Therefore using the extra graphics and ram capabilities of the Xbox360?.

I heard it's 360 bit is that right?

I read it comes with a single wireless controller.Do you guys know if it supports normal controllers too?

How much will it be?

Anybody know when the release date is?.

Thanks

It doesn't have an x86 architecture, it uses PowerPC (Like Gamecube), if it is backwards compatible, it emulates the original Xbox. (Of course theres more to it than just simple CPU architecture, but you get the point)

Can't say I've read anywhere that it is, but I remember reading awhile back that Microsoft said it won't be. You'll have to wait and see, or bust out google and try and find some more info.

MS has previously said they were still exploring the option of backwards compatibility. They have yet to say "Yes" or "No". But the lack of any mention of backwards compatibility in the past couple of days is suspicious. Makes me think they may have ditched the idea. But they could also still be working on it. As IJTF_Cinder mentioned they would have to do it through emulation anyway. So it's possible they are still working on the emulator software and don't want to announce anything until they are sure they have it working like they want. Or maybe they are just saving it so they have something big to announce at E3?

Bottom line... there is no definite "Yes" or "No" from MS yet.

As for the controllers, the word is that there will be some sort of adapter available that will allow you to plug current XBox controllers into the USB ports. The XBox 360 also supports USB hubs, so don't be surprised to see a USB hub with several XBox 1 controller ports sold as a peripheral.

If they do emulate the X-box wont there be a way were people steal the program and put it on there normal computers to make it work?

Well since your garden variety computer is an x86 system, certainly not. The Xbox 360 is running PowerPC cores. Then there's the fact it'll be running on a totally different OS and filesystem. The closest thing you'd come aross to simply "rip" the emulator out and run it on would be a Mac, and it wouldn't run natively. You'd have to emulate an emulator.......ewww......slow.