video converter problem

I dunno know what's wrong with my computer but it seems like evey video converter i try just won't work. i've tried winavi, TMPGEnc Plus-2.54, rm converter, and mpeg-vcr. so i dunno what's wrong. it seems like i can't converter videos, btw i'm trying to convert to mpeg-2 so i can burn them on a DVD.

what about the other ones?? they let me convert the file but when it's about 10% it just stops

Ok, here's the deal.

I just got a.avi movie and I want to burn it on a dvd and watch it on the dvd player.

It's made with XviD and junk so can anyone tell me some instructions to encode and what not.

Ok, here's the deal.

I just got a.avi movie and I want to burn it on a dvd and watch it on the dvd player.

It's made with XviD and junk so can anyone tell me some instructions to encode and what not.

have you checked http://www.doom9.org ?

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, here's the deal.

have you checked http://www.doom9.org ?

I forgot to update everyone on my situation. I took a look around doom9 and it seems that it's verrry complicated in my opinion to get a avi on a dvd. I tried their methods, downloaded extra stuff needed, wasted 3 hours each attempt to burn and its just downright nutty.

If you are in my situation, I recommend just using dvdsanta, the only way of proceding without losing braincells.

It's extremely easy to use and takes half the time than the other programs mentioned at doom9.

If you are in my situation, I recommend just using dvdsanta, the only way of proceding without losing braincells.

It's extremely easy to use and takes half the time than the other programs mentioned at doom9.

Not really. TMPG DVD Author is by far much better for a DVD making + burning program. All thats needed is to re-encode the video to MPEG-2, load up TMPG DVD Author and just burn. You can make a menu if you want to be fancy.

That's not entirely true. I've started with tmpg but it had problems encoding to mpeg.

Plus, it was estimated at 3 hours to encode using that program and dvdsanta took only 1h 30 mins

That's not entirely true. I've started with tmpg but it had problems encoding to mpeg.

Plus, it was estimated at 3 hours to encode using that program and dvdsanta took only 1h 30 mins

TMPG actually re-encodes it better then those "stock" converters found in many DVD Authoring software. For example, my Ninja Scroll back up ended up looking at horrible quality using a program like dvdsanta. But when doing it all manually it ended up practically like the original. It does matter what your specs of your computer are. Rough side is that TMPG will only convert it to the DVD MPEG-II if it's licensed.