need some help: pc just shutdown and...

ok, my recent upgraded pc just suddenly shutdown and only the power light blinks :lol:

at first i thought it might be the cpu overheating so i cleaned off the thermal grease it had and put on a fresh coat of artic silver thermal grease that came with the heatsink.

i turned on the pc and everything seemed ok as it loaded xp no prob but after 2 mins xp was on, it suddenly cut off again :thumbsdown:

right now i have no idea what could it be and the last thing i'm willing to try before giving it up to a repair shop is switching around my memory stick back to single channel mode and see what happens.

for those of you who don't know about my upgrade, heres what i have:

Atholon64 3800

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (not the SLI version)

EVGA 6800GT 256MB DDR Video Card

1GB OCZ PC3200 DDR RAM

2 300GB Maxtor HDD's in RAID0

Lite On DVD Burner

TDK 48x CD Burner

DVD-ROM

2 Western Digital HDD's: 120GB and 160GB

ok, i'm back on the upgraded pc. seems to be running fine after putting my memory back into single channel mode.

i gotta run to compusa for a thing or 2 so i'm gonna let it run and see what happens when i get back

If you suspect CPU overheating, download a program called Speedfan. It will use the temperature detectors on the various chips and display the temps for you. If temp goes over 60 deg celsius you may have a problem.

well i just got back and its still running so i guess the problem was dealing with the memory being on dual channel mode but strange how this started now since its been running dual channel mode for over a month with no probs.

the only other odd ball thing that sometimes happens is when i need to reboot, it won't load up P.O.S.T and i had to press the reset button for it to run post.

edit: i grabbed the speedfan app and everything seems good and right now cpu is at 43 C

Try to see if you have the latest BIOS. If not, upgrade those. Also, when you feel up to it, try putting it back on Dual Channel and see if it does it again. Make sure the RAM isn't overclocked and it's all on default settings.

i have the latest bios already flashed and thats when i had done the dual channel mode.

also i didn't touch any of the overclock options as of yet and don't think i will for the time being.

i'm gonna leave as is right now and just wait till i get another set of memory sticks which should be soon if the deal ends well heh

Maybe your problem is NOT a problem, but A WINDOWS FEATURE. It is called hibernation.

Basically hibernation is like shutting down your PC but all the memory and actual loaded programs will still be there when the computer is turned back on.

To disable hibernation, go to Control Panel and go to Power Options, choose the hibernate tab and uncheck enable hibernation.

Also there are hibernation shortcuts when you press sleep in your keyboard and/or motherboard. Although I forgot how to disable them.... ^^

Edited by StriderVM

You'd need to be pretty dumb to mistaken the Hibernation feature for...a feature.

Well it can't be hibernation since it was fixed when you took the RAM out of dual channel mode. If it was hibernation it would have still occured.

And how does Hibernation magically get turned 2 minutes after starting? Hibernation happens after a long period of inactivity.

well it definitely wasn't hibernation as that option needs to enabled as is after xp is installed nor was it sleep mode; it was a memory prob thats now solved due to me having the sticks in the wrong places to say.

the msi board needed my dual-sided memory sticks to be in slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for it to work properly. what i did first was what the manual said to do was putting the sticks in the green slots first (1 & 3) and thats when it was in single channel mode and when i added the last part to my pc i decided to put it in dual channel via slots 3 & 4 in which didn't give me a prob untill the day of this topic in which i learned that the sticks should've been in 1 & 2.

i recently won an auction for 2x512MB Corsair XMS PRO PC3200 sticks for $122 and added those to my pc and everything is working lovely with 2GB of memory :devilboy: