do you use linux on your xbox?

Inky

just wondering who is using linux as an app on thier xbox?

and what distro are you using.

I am using xdsl right now mainly because it is small (under 50MB) and pretty fast. all I am really using it for now is web surfing and checking email. stuff like that

I was going to, until I recently fried mine. :S

Gotta get a new one, and make sure I don't go hog wild installing the chip, and actually be cautious this time. Fsucking v1.6 Xbox, LPC rebuild pain in the ass. :P

What distros are available? I run Mandrake on my PC, I'd love to see a Mandrake distro for Xbox.

Are any of the distros FULL functional distros, or are all chopped right down to bare components? I'd like to see a distro that I could actually do something with besides running a browser and screwing with files.

yea i too hate 1.6's but at least now that shouldn't be a prob as m$ went back to using 1.4 boards.

when i first modded my xbox, i tried out linux that was on a slayers disc; not bad but slow without the extra memory.

yea i too hate 1.6's but at least now that shouldn't be a prob as m$ went back to using 1.4 boards.

when i first modded my xbox, i tried out linux that was on a slayers disc; not bad but slow without the extra memory.

Sure, but theres no guarantee I'll be able to get a 1.4 when I go buy another one.

If I get stuck with another 1.6, I'm gonna be pretty pissed. I think the hardest part of the whole thing is the damn LPC LAD3, it's so close to the pin header and alot of other points, NOT the D0 like everyone seems to have a problem with. I had ZERO problems getting my D0 on the first time, and it stayed there even when I re-did the mod again (Which is when I fux0red the box somehow)

i personally find it easier doing the LPC fix using 30awg wires instead of the pcb fix thats included, most times to me it was a pain in the ass to get all the points correctly using the pcb fix.

with the latest mods, they make the d0 point really easy since its done on the bottom of the mobo in which the point is very easy to get to unlike the top of the mobo where you gotta solder to a via which to most ppl with less soldering skills is a pain in the ass and might destroy the point if he/she isn't carefull.

shouldn't be long. or get a refurbished unit. thats what I did and I've never had a problem in almost 3 years.

ebgames.com

order a refurb for 120.00

get it 2 days later on your doorstep...open this xbox...get needed parts

place back into original shipping container(ebgames puts the return label righ in the box so your ready to return it minutes after you get it...

use a credit card and it gets charged and refunded within 5 days...did it 2 times here..

no fuss no muss :P

ebgames has a no refund policy on their refurbished goods and i know this for a fact cuz i was stuck with an xbox after i got what was needed :P

lucky enough i was able to trade the xbox for a gc and games since i didn't own one yet heh.

I don't think the LPC rebuild is that bad at all. Using wires, then yes, but if you're using a Rebuild Board they are a piece of cake. I've probably done 30 or so v1.6s with no problems at all using the Rebuild Board. And if you're buying a chip that doesn't come with one, you should probably go ahead and invest in one since they're only like $5 and you'll spend half that on wire alone, not to mention all the headaches it'll save you from.

Also if you are using a LPC rebuilt, here's a nifty little tip I found out. Make sure you pre-solder the points that the LPC rebuild is going on to. This makes it extremely easy to attach the board to the points with a small amount of solder. I have done this everytime and I can solder an LPC board on in a matter of seconds. Oh and use electrical tape to hold down the LPC rebuild until you've solder all the points. It helps keep it in place while you're working.

The rebuild board wasn't in existance when I got my mod. Did it with wires. Worked great the first time, but came loose a few times. Finally I decided to reinstall the entire thing (mainly because the pin header wasn't sitting level).....BAD idea.

And when you say $120 for a refurb Xbox, I assume you're talking US dollars, and in that case I call you nuts. When I can buy a brand spankin new one for like $215 CAD (Under $200 on Ebay), no thanks.