AMD > Pentium

Shouldn't it be Athlon > Pentium or AMD > Intel? ;) If you're going to mention an article and ask us to read it then please FIND IT AND LINK IT here.

But yes, I find that AMD has taken the crown from Intel, atleast in the gaming sector. What makes AMD even cooler (literally since they use less power and emit less heat) now is that they designed the A64s to be used in a multicore arrangement from the beginning. Intel is basically just slapping together two cores together while AMD designed the A64s with a special crossbar between the I/O and memory interfaces and the execution core. So to go multicore all they need to do it add another execution core to that crossbar. They had the foresight for that and it's paying off.

I wish there was some way I could REALLY make my own judement based on actually testing some compareable rigs......but I'm not rich enough to be buying a bunch of stuff just to build test rigs and sell the one I don't want.

Based on previous experience with AMD, I stayed away from them when it came time to build a PC a few years ago. Went with a Pentium 4. Personally I think AMD sucked ass 3-4 years ago, but with all I've been reading lately on AMDs new processors, I think I'd like to give them a chance again. If I got burnt this time though, I think they could kiss my ass goodbye forever.

I'm a former Pentium enthusist from teh fullest and going AMD is one of the best choices I've ever made for my technological needs. Now I just need some better cooling.

i'm not sure if i'm a computer n00b but how can u tell the diffrences between the 2 anyway?? use somekind and benchmark program? or experience?

i'm not sure if i'm a computer n00b but how can u tell the diffrences between the 2 anyway?? use somekind and benchmark program? or experience?

Performance benchmarks. Game performance is what's most important to me. Plus there are other factors like power consumption and heat emission which AMD excel at. Here is an article from yesterday that shows how the new Venice cores have much less power usage than current AMD processors which is already a lot less than Intel's. http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_venice/

AMD has really made some strides recently. They used to be mostly "quantity over quality" - being cheaper by the MHz, but running a lot hotter, etc. Nowadays, their stuff is a lot better.

The 64s seem nicel (my friend just got one, he digs it), but I'm curious to see what Intel is going to do about them. It's not like them to sit on their asses for too long.

I've always been an Intel user, but had a few friends who went with AMD prcessors recently, and gave them pretty good praise. If they keep improving on their current standards, I may give them a go when it comes time for a new computer.

if i have the money to buy a new PC, ill just buy what i could afford. why this kind of answer you ask? because here in my country AMD processors are becoming more pricier than their Intel counterparts.

AMD just became a replacement for Intel in the market here so i still end up thinking practically of what i will choose between the two. i yearn for stability more than performance (but it is my closest second) since todays PCs are fast enough to do most things.

bottomline: give it a good thought and research before buying. maybe people should too.

Edited by Xeon