My pc randomly wants to connect to the net when i

SF2MJ

I have win xp pro. And for some reason every now and then when i click on a folder or even click on my computer...a box appears and says "opening port" and then it starts to dial up my net connection.

I don't know what is going on...it never did this before.Is there some kind of setting that you can adjust that stops it from doing that?.

Edited by SF2MJ

Also how do i check up on my system resources with xp?.In win98 i used to right click on my computer and see how much i was using my cpu.

Now i right click on my computer and i don't see system resources anymore.

is there an html file in the folder? cuz it does that on my computer too but only folders with a html file in it

There was this one site that had an address very similar to Google's. Once you'd get to that site, it ran a nasty JavaScript code that tried to contact CoolWebSearch and install it if the user was using IE. It was pretty fun to watch that site spastically trying to contact CoolWebSearch over and over again, and failing in Firefox.

coolwebsearch is the flocking devil.

it's like the LORD of spyware.

it's practically unstoppable....

i had a flocking battle with the damn thing once... i still have a folder called spyware war that has all the tools i hadta use to finally nuke the variant i had.