I formatted a new hdd with win xp professional.

SF2MJ

I recently put a new hdd in my pc tower and formatted it.I have windows xp professional.I used it's admin tools and formatted it through that.My other 2 hdd i have in my pc are FAT32.I formatted them when i had windows 98 se.

But this new hdd i formatted with win xp only let me use NTFS when i was formatting it.I didn't have a choice of FAT32.

Anyway i went ahead and formatted anyway.And i find that even though the new hdd has NTFS, and my 2 old hdd have FAT32.I could still transfer files from my older hdd's to my new one and use them...even though they are 2 different formats.

I thought you couldn't do that.Is it ok to do that?.Will any of my files be corrupt if i transfer them from a hdd that has FAT32 to a hdd that has NTFS?.

Or could it be that my older hard drives have somehow already converted the new hdd to FAT32 without me knowing about it?.

Because my new hdd still says it's NTFS.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NTFS is good. You can transfer between different formats easily. It's just that old OSes like Win98 and 95 won't be able to read it. No need to panic, everything is good. NTFS is better, much better than FAT32.

They're are reasons why NTFS is better on XP.

The only good thing of useing FAT32 is if your dual boot with 2k and an old version of windows that can run your classics.

And there are reasons why a gamer chooses FAT32.

Even Microsoft themselves did a performance benchmark with the 2 filesystems to see what was the better choice.

For performance, FAT32 did somewhat better than NTFS, but ONLY if the volume sizes were small.

This is why my on my primary drive I have 2 8GB partitions for my games, and I use my other drive for storage and keep my pagefile on it, in it's own 1024MB partition.

Even Microsoft themselves did a performance benchmark with the 2 filesystems to see what was the better choice.

For performance, FAT32 did somewhat better than NTFS, but ONLY if the volume sizes were small.

This is why my on my primary drive I have 2 8GB partitions for my games, and I use my other drive for storage and keep my pagefile on it, in it's own 1024MB partition.

I'm a gamer and I don't use FAT32 :\

IMO NTFS is better for XP.

Your pagefile is rediculusly high, what do you do other then gaming and word processing? If you do massive media editing then, I understand.

I'm a gamer and I don't use FAT32 :\

IMO NTFS is better for XP.

Your pagefile is rediculusly high, what do you do other then gaming and word processing? If you do massive media editing then, I understand.

I do alot of everything, including video editing and alot of archiving, and a 1GB pagefile isn't rediculously high. What might I ask do you consider to be a "normal" size pagefile?

Most recommend 1.5x your physical RAM (Mine being 512MB, that would be a 768MB Pagefile), I opted for a little more.