Guild Wars

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh... No monthly fee at all?

I've had bad experiences with no credit card required MMORPGs... They usually have a high... (how can I put this nicely) idiot factor... What kind of server maintenance and customer support are they providing for free?

Yes, it is very happy. Because so many are having fun.

Just wait and see... MMORPGs based on PVP tend have HORRIBLE communities, and eventually fall apart :shootem:

Edited by Nusumenai

Eh... No monthly fee at all?

I've had bad experiences with no credit card required MMORPGs... They usually have a high... (how can I put this nicely) idiot factor... What kind of server maintenance and customer support are they providing for free?

Well ArenaNet is fully owned by NCsoft so you can bet they have good MMO experience. But this game isn't fully an MMORPG so there probably won't be as much griefing and stuff.

It's not really a mmorpg as such, I played in the weekend beta's its more like an online PVP rpg, it suits those that played WoW and are asking wtf is Blizz doing with their PvP system.

Those that are just into slaying dragons can do that too, but it's a lot more focused on PvP and team strategies. There's no griefing as when you make a party with some friends you get ported to your own instance, like WoW's raid's, so there's no walking you can just -port- anywhere around the map, so if your friend is getting bashed you can port right to them and help. If you just want to pummel people there's battlegrounds (designated places).

Of course people will compare WoW to GW but they aren't really the same thing, both have their good points. I'll be playing both since GW doesn't have a monthly fee anyway.

oh its made by those former Blizz people that worked on several games and made bnet so thats not a bad thing =D

Edited by msldn

I played in the brief E3 beta/demo last year (I think it was). It was alright..

It seemed to me to be a combination of match making service and one-shot MMORPG gameplay. A session consisted of finding people to play with (or not) and then creating one of the "instanced worlds" they talk about - which is essentially a private server like those for FPS games - to play on. Gameplay ranged from MMORPG style monster-bashing, to things like PVP CTF and something like UT's Assault.

It was not a bad system, but when all was said and done, it was still an MMORPG system. Combat was boring as usual, but that's just my opinion.

It may seem to be a little unreal but I don't think you should expect getting crap internet play. There's server saves so it won't be that easy to hack the characters if it were saved on your computer, and there will be support regarding protection against hacks and cheats, just like diablo 2 I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I played abit in the beta my self.

I like this game, but not fully as it does not fill the void of my mmo fix. Simply put it, it's sort of an mmo, but it isn't.

it does not fill the void of my mmo fix. Simply put it, it's sort of an mmo, but it isn't.

That's how I felt. It eliminated some of the problems, like the long travel times and such, but with them it took the sense of scale and "world" away. As I said before, the instanced-setup made it feel less like a "fantasy world" and more like a 3D graphical match-making service for small team games.