Guild Wars

Anyone interested in this game? Basically if you haven't heard about it, it's a diabloish MMORPG (Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) that resembles World of Warcraft. The retail version comes out next week and there's no subscription fee or other costs to play online. The game emphasizes team work and making guilds and such. I might get this game, if I do, anyone interested in joining my group?

gwscreen057-page.jpggwscreen047-page.jpg

Guild Wars HomePage

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really good. Didn't the developers of this game come from Blizzard?

Yes, the head honchos are ex-Blizzard.

This game does have a very interesting concept but I don't think I'd play it because it is after all a MMORPG. I was tempted to try the beta but I don't have the time for it.

The game loks very nice, but like with all MMORPGs, I'm not that interested to actually pay to play it.

Do you mean monthly subscription fees and such? As I've mentioned above, there are none.

What? No fees whatsoever? That's news to me.

The game loks very nice, but like with all MMORPGs, I'm not that interested to actually pay to play it.

Do you mean monthly subscription fees and such? As I've mentioned above, there are none.

What? No fees whatsoever? That's news to me.

This is from the official Guild Wars FAQ:

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

Will there be a subscription fee for Guild Wars? Are there any other fees, such as for patches or updates?

There will not be a subscription fee of any kind, anywhere in the world and there are no hidden fees. You will not have to pay for the streaming updates that will take place on a regular basis, nor for additional content that we will provide between the chapters of Guild Wars.

http://www.guildwars.com/faq/default.html