Prey is back!

Gryph

The game which was first developed by 3DRealms then scrapped has now been confirmed to be under development by Human Head Studios. \o/ Of course these rumors started sometime a year ago but it's nice to know for certain.

I can't wait for E3 to see more about it and the June PC Gamer will have the exclusive.

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/post...view=&sb=5&o=93

Haven't been this excited for a game in a while. Feels like it's 1998 again. :P

Some info:

- It uses Doom 3 technology.

- Some of George Broussard's posts suggest that they've implemented the portal engine into that engine which would be badass.

- Developed by Human Head Studios and produced by 3DRealms.

- You play a Native American. The original name was Talon Brave but that might not be his name now.

Here is the site, just wait a few seconds and little teaser will show up: http://www.prey.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you keep it open for half a minute? Sometime comes up before that.

But it's designed to look like an Under Contruction site. Read closer, it says Under Consumption. And some of the other text has Native American things.

Sounds pretty cool. I wondered what you kept referring to in some of your other posts, Gryph. :P

And some of the "ads" are funny on that site

Pet Anti-Depressants: Because moody parrots don't make kids smile..lmao

will it be released before Duke Nukem Forever?? That is the question....... :P

Yes. 3DR has said they've learned from their mistakes and will only unveil a game about 6 months before release to build appropriate hype. But I wouldn't be surprised or annoyed if it's delayed.

Woohoo! Prey info from the June PC Gamer. Found here: http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/show...=0&fpart=4&vc=1

All this is provided by Eclipse of 3DRealms forums and PlanetDuke, he is a PC Gamer subscriber and got it early in the mail. He was nice enough to answer some questions.

This is in response to me asking for impressions after reading the article.

I really don't know what to say without feeling like I'm missing important parts out, but here goes.

The game sounds fantastic. The main character is called Tommy. The story looks to be very involved, serious and dark. Scott Miller said that "we know we will have achieved our goal if we get emails from players who shed tears."

The game uses the Cherokee beliefs to great effect by the looks of things, incorporating spirit guides (Talon, a childhood pet Hawk), spirit walking and death walking. The latter of these is a somewhat unique method of resurrection, meaning no annoying playing through parts of a level you've already seen.

As we knew, the tech is Doom 3. Portals are in and fully functional, along with the ability to walk on walls in certain area (instead of ladders). There are some badass looking creatures in the game, both large and small - one of which you can use as grenades

If it lives up to all the promises in the article - it should be one very good game indeed.

This is after someone asked if there any mention of multiplayer.

No mention of multiplayer at all.

This is after someone asked him about the portal technology.

Allow me to quote from the article

"you can literally stand at the threshold of a portal and peer into a vastly different level beyond, then step across the threshold and 'warp' into the new space without the game skipping a beat"

"Portals can be oriented in any way, so you could walk through a portal on a wall and end up falling through a portal in the ceiling in another room" says Chris Rhinehart

That answer it for you?

This is an answer to a name query (the name used to be Talon Brave but is now Tommy something. People think it's Tommy Hawk).

Nobody said Tommy Hawk - hopefully its not.

This is in response to Spirit walking and death walking.

Yeah, spirit walking allows Tommy to leave his body, and enables him to move through solid objects - but this leaves the physical body vulnerable to attack.

Death walking occurs when you are killed, and you are transported into a spirit world where you can gain enough energy to resurrect where you died.

This is a response to my question if the game is extremely dark like Doom 3.

Well they're not fullbright but they're certainly not pitch black either - yes its lighter than Doom 3.

There'll be no PREY IS DARK LOL jokes based on what can be seen in the article anyway!