Gran Turismo 4

Daeval

After playing Gran Turismo 3 and loving it, I had long been waiting for GT4. When I finally got it, I quickly started to get frustrated. None of the cars you could buy for your starting 10K seemed worth a damn. I could beat the Sunday Cup with a little work, but anything else looked like it was going to require hours and hours of grinding on the easy races to pay for a better car. Importing the 100K from my GT3 save felt dirty, but it was the only reasonable recourse, or so I thought. Many deleted saves (and many jukebox-reorganizations) later, I've found the trick to making your 10K car worth something, buried in a poorly organized faq at gamefaqs.

Turn the goddamn driving "aids" down!

These things are supposed to "help" you in turns, by keeping your car under control when the tires slip, etc. I guess that's useful if you don't know how to take a damn turn, but what they don't tell you is that it slows you down A LOT. Lowering these settings lets you maintain MUCH higher speeds through turns, proving you can keep control of the car yourself (easier than it sounds).

The default settings are 10/10/7. I lowered mine to 5/5/5 and was blowing away tracks that I previously had trouble getting 3rd on, all without making any other changes to my car.

I just thought I'd share...

Man, I wish someone had told me this earlier. GT4 is a beyotch.

Correction: Only if you suck.

Correction: Default settings for GT mode suck which makes you suck.

Exactly. Making any of the starting cars worth a damn beyond the Sunday cup takes more than skill. Either you tweak the settings or you race the easy races over and over and over until you get sick of it and trade the game in.

Or you import 100K from your GT3 save, buy a lotus, and forget about the whole thing. But that's just not the same. :)

I transfered my creds, did you?

I transfered my creds, did you?

If you don't feel the need to start from scratch: Transfer your creds, then tweak the driving aids on your new car as mentioned above. You'll get even MORE out of it.