Dualis-4

Robert

Dualis version 4 was released recently. It features a debugger, and more selection screens. New things in detail:

Can drag a file onto the exe while in Explorer, it will open and run. :yay:

Debugger has separate window views of Disassembler, Memory, Palette, I/O registers, and Debug Console. A number of selections are greyed out which I assume are things for future development. The debug console appears equivalent to the DSemu log file.

The main window has tabs for CPU, Memory, Video, and Audio. CPU has the expected ARM9 available and ARM7 greyed out. Memory has Touchscreen IPC address, and personal details (?). Video, same options as before (I think). Audio is empty, something for the future.

Now, time to test...

Palette Viewer X button doesn't work, have to use the Close button.

I haven't tested the debugger itself as I have no idea about what it's saying. The Save button(s) not tested either.

Some demos aren't working the same as previously.

- 2dexample, bottom part is blank, the red moving stuff is missing

- davr-arm9, the continuous changing doesn't happen. See note below.

- draw-arm9, touchscreen not working

- dspaint, sometimes wrong or no colour when drawing

- mines-arm9, touchscreen not working after board is displayed

- PandaForth, touchscreen not working

The other demos, either working or not working as in version 3.

Changing the touchscreen address doesn't fix anything. What's it for anyway (help?).

Video ram not being cleared. Run TetrisARM9, and then load and run drops-arm9. The outline of the tetris board is visible on the top screen.

can someone tell me what is davr-arm9 supposed to show exactly?

MIC, hopefully you find my results to be of some use.

Edited by robbbert

davr-arm9 doesn't run on a real DS (unless he has fixed it since), that's why Dualis r4 won't run it. Same goes for a few other demos.

The IPC location option on the memory tab is there because some demos (joat's touchscreen demo being the only one I know of) uses an alternate memory area for the touchscreen data. The default location should be fine for most demos.

The personal details are something you'd be asked to enter on a rel DS (name, perosnal message, color scheme and whatnot). dsPaint uses some of that data.

*Using Dualis r5*

The 2dexample was updated very recently and works as expected now.

Hmm, the touchscreen sensor seems to be one position off in some demos.

Either that or the way the demos work is wrong.

Try for instance dsPaint.bin. Where you put the pin down it draws one position left of the cursor.

This same issue shows up also in tiles02.bin and possibly nibbled-arm9.bin (the updated version, the older version crashes when u hit a wall) but that one's hard to tell.

No, input from Pandaforth.bin when using touchscreen.

The Mines-arm9.bin and drops-arm9.bin demos work as expected.

(This is the updated, less buggy version, of the mines-arm9.bin demo)

I also noticed that tri_emu.bin (the Triangle demo) and ship_emu.bin (the rolling ship demo) only works in OpenGL.

If you use D3D, it pulls in the previous output of the last demo you ran or a black screen if you didn't run any.

If you use GDI, it shows a white screen on both.

When I close a demo shouldn't it clear the video output and clear it from all three video output types?

Underpressure.bin... half of the sprite is missing and (suspecting) touch pressure detection(how?) is not implemented yet.

I also noticed there's a hefty speed decrease with GDI by at least 10 fps.

And finally in PongDS there is part of the sprite left when it moves from the touchscreen to the display screen. Is this normal (since I've seen it in all the Dualis releases so far)?

/Ieremiou

*I'll edit more as I go along*

Edited by ieremiou

Hmm, the touchscreen sensor seems to be one position off in some demos.

It's most certainly Dualis' fault.

I also noticed that tri_emu.bin (the Triangle demo) and ship_emu.bin (the rolling ship demo) only works in OpenGL.

If you use D3D, it pulls in the previous output of the last demo you ran or a black screen if you didn't run any.

If you use GDI, it shows a white screen on both.

Only the OpenGL renderer supports 3D right now. The GDI renderer probably never will, since it would have to be done in software.

Underpressure.bin... half of the sprite is missing and (suspecting) touch pressure detection(how?) is not implemented yet.

No, no pressure data is emulated atm. Either the screen is pressed or it's not.

I also noticed there's a hefty speed decrease with GDI by at least 10 fps.

Yes, GDI is pretty slow compared to OpenGL/Direct3D. I only added it for compability reasons.

And finally in PongDS there is part of the sprite left when it moves from the touchscreen to the display screen. Is this normal (since I've seen it in all the Dualis releases so far)?

Sprite clipping is still probably not 100% accurate in all cases.