Moral question about returning/exchanging stuff

The only thing i am concerned with is looking like an ungrateful little $hit head.

Ok here is my situation....

Its about a bike my mom bought me, about a month ago my mom got me a 290 Schwinn from Target. Its a great bike and serves it purpose great no complaints. Until i took it on an 8 mile trail by my house, and it flocking killed me, my calves locked up, i was dehydrated and dead. I couldn’t even finish the 4 mile uphill part of the trail. The bike is also kind of heavy, and as i found out today, in some ways not the right size for me.

The problem is either me or the bike, probably 50/50

I went to a professional bike store today and found an unopened 04' on clearence w/ disk brakes, and adjustable front shocks and all that good $hit. for 290 (originally 320-350)... overall a better bike and also on major sale..

and i get life time tune-ups....

So do i ask my mom (she paid on her card) if i can exchange it for the better bike or is that Flocked up thing to do?

Edited by PLasticSlug

Yeah, it would be better to be honest with your mom. I wouldn't think she would feel you are being ungrateful for asking her to do the exchange. Just tell her the pros of returning the first bike and buying the second.

Seriously, be honest with her. Tell her that the bike is great, and that she made a good choice. That will make her happy that she was able to choose something good for you. Tell her that you enjoyed the high quality bike, and still have an interest in riding. Tell her that her gift meant a lot to you. And tell her your problems with the bike.

Just don't make any of it sound guilty. "Mom, this is a great bike, but in some ways it's maybe just not the right size for me. I've ridden it a bit, and I think I could find a better fit - I just don't feel too comfortable on it. I think I could ride longer and more easily on this other one, and I just happened to see one on sale, so the switch wouldn't be hard or expensive or anything."

I mean, what if she bought you a pair of prescription eye-glasses with the wrong prescription? Would you wear them even if you couldn't see anything just because they were a gift? Half of receiving a gift is being gracious, sure, and the other half is recognizing the giver's intent of giving you something you can use. Just make it clear that you want to swap for something that will *fit* you better, not that you're looking to "trade up".

Anyway, that's just my opinion. :clapping: Still, I don't think you should be at all shy about this.

The dehydration isn't the bike's fault. You can't expect to go on an 8-mile bike ride without drinking water and expect to be okay. Make sure its water though, anything else will dry you out even more.

As for the exchange, I would go with Swithin's suggestion, be courteous about the whole thing and don't put any of the blame on her, or you'll go on a guilt-trip that you will never live down.

The dehydration isn't the bike's fault.  You can't expect to go on an 8-mile bike ride without drinking water and expect to be okay.  Make sure its water though, anything else will dry you out even more.

As for the exchange, I would go with Swithin's suggestion, be courteous about the whole thing and don't put any of the blame on her, or you'll go on a guilt-trip that you will never live down.

Here's what he should do...

Pslug: "Oh hi mom, you are looking ravishing today."

Mom: "Ooooohhh, thank you son. What is that your wearing?"

Pslug: "It's for the girls mom, GameCop told me to get a girlfriend."

Mom: "Yeah, I know that GameCop. Sounds familiar."

Pslug: "So mom, I love the bike..but it hurts my tushy."

Mom: "Want me to kiss it for you?"

Pslug: "No, it's ok. I was wondering though.."

Mom: "It's ok, GameCop was a very good looking person. Nothing happened."

Pslug: "I'm talking about something else mom.."

Mom: "That GameCop can just last for hours and hours."

Pslug: "I mean the Bike, the Bike."

Mom: "The bike ride with GameCop was fabulous"

Pslug: "Nevermind, forget I said anything."

And so the journey moves on with PlasticSlug and his lifestyle.

His tush will forever hurt in the mist of darkness falling. :clapping:

The dehydration isn't the bike's fault.  You can't expect to go on an 8-mile bike ride without drinking water and expect to be okay.  Make sure its water though, anything else will dry you out even more.

LOL, GameCop is a home wrecker.

That was just wrong,....but I can't stop laughing at it