Ha ha, Sony sucks.

Wizard

Immersion's method was just roaters, Nintendo's was un-balanced motors within the Rumble Pack. Afterwards, Immersion and Nintendo settled something. Then Sony desecited the rumble pack, and used the same method it used, but it was already licensed to Immersion. This happened around the 94-95-96.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Immersion's method was just roaters, Nintendo's was un-balanced motors within the Rumble Pack. Afterwards, Immersion and Nintendo settled something. Then Sony desecited the rumble pack, and used the same method it used, but it was already licensed to Immersion. This happened around the 94-95-96.

Interesting. If this goes anywhere, it will be something to keep an eye on. Keep us informed, K'. ;)

Both SNES and NES controls are weightless. I barely have any control over them, PS1 controler was super weightless, It actually feels like you can crush the thing while your a pissed gamer, I prefer a control that isnt weightless, also, PS1 is small, I can open up the plastic and put in heavy metal to use them as dumbells (actuall metal not music <.<)

According to this article: http://immr.client.shareholder.com/Release...eleaseID=143561

And these two patents mentioned therin:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...RS=PN/6,275,213

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...RS=PN/6,424,333

Immersion does seem to own anything that makes a computer rotate an uneven weight to produce tactile feedback.

I'm no expert on patent/copyright law or anything, so maybe I'm missing something here, but on the surface this looks really really lame. I'm sure there are "toys" of various kinds that have been doing this for years and years, but Immersion plugs one into a computer and viola, no one else can.

This is pretty lame and Sony is getting hammer much more than they should. $90 Million USD and they have to stop selling PS2s? WTF? Lame. But OTOH, Sony probably should have just settled this the way MS and Nintendo did. So as lame as the whole patent is, Sony got themselves into this mess.

Unlike others on this board, I really do like Sony, but they sure seem to do stupid crap on a regular basis.

This is pretty lame and Sony is getting hammer much more than they should.  $90 Million USD and they have to stop selling PS2s?  WTF? Lame.  But OTOH, Sony probably should have just settled this the way MS and Nintendo did.  So as lame as the whole patent is, Sony got themselves into this mess. 

Unlike others on this board, I really do like Sony, but they sure seem to do stupid crap on a regular basis.

I only hate Sony's Gaming and Electronic divisions, their movies and music is where the moneys at.