Ha ha, Sony sucks.

Wizard

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the other controllers that have rumble feature? ie GC/XbOx

Nintendo them selves barely use it at all. It flies under the rader. Microsoft settled out of court.

Interesting.  I'll have to look into this more when I have a bit more time.  Does Immersion own anything with vibration feedback technology, or was it something more specific?

They make joysticks and licesen the tech to various other companies. This happened to Microsoft also, they settled out of court and became a shareholder for Immersion.

Website!

Well I gathered that much, but they can't possibly own the patent on "things that plug into computers and vibrate." Or can they?

Interesting.  I'll have to look into this more when I have a bit more time.  Does Immersion own anything with vibration feedback technology, or was it something more specific?

They make joysticks and licesen the tech to various other companies. This happened to Microsoft also, they settled out of court and became a shareholder for Immersion.

Website!

Well I gathered that much, but they can't possibly own the patent on "things that plug into computers and vibrate." Or can they?

This smells more and more like that Foley case.

Does it use the exact same technology that Immersion developed? This seems a bit off to me, but I guess it just shows that even the largest beasts in any industry can be hit with a swift kick in the nads. Now whether or not this really hurts Sony or not is a different story. I doubt $91 million is a big worry to them.

Can't sue the ones that developed the technology in the first place?

I may have missed your point, but mine was that "things that plug into a computer and vibrate" is a pretty vague category. If Immersion designed a technology that did that - a specific type of hardware, or a specific type of software interface, etc - I would expect unliscenced uses of such technology to be punishable. However, it would be ridiculous if Immersion owned the very concept of "a controller that shakes."

If another company were to design their own hardware and software interface to make a controller shake on command, I would not expect that to be punishable. For example, there are several companies that make a "light up" controller, and there are several companies who make keyboards that fold up. They accomplish the same end result in slightly different ways and avoid problems. The question is, did Sony do it themselves, or did they reverse engineer Immersion's work somehow?

I think i can blame all the broken Dualshock 2s i have on Immersion then!!

*steams in anger*

No, thats still Sony's fault for making everything with the cheapest parts they can get.