Thomas Haden Church To be spiderman 3 villain

I could see him as Sandman, with a little beefing up, or Scorpion pretty easily. The Lizard would work too, but Dylan Baker already makes a pretty good Dr. Connors in part 2, so I dunno.

I could also see this guy as a pre-Larson Venom. There wasn't a lot of time before Larson turned him into a drooling brock lesnar, but for a while Venom was a really cool psychological villian. The way he got at Spider-Man through Mary Jane would tie in especially well with the way MJ learns about the peter's identity in the second movie. Somehow I doubt they would try to hit the reset on Venom like that, especially since all the newer fans are used to a psychopathic drooling tentacle demon, but I would be pleasantly surprised.

They needed a badass villain that you can hate, and excudes evilness. Doc Ock didn't fill that role. Instead he's a lame anti-hero who can't make up his mind on whether he's good or bad.

I'll agree that doc-ock's good-guy/bad-guy complex was a little too black and white, but "badass villians that excude evilness" really aren't what Spider Man is about. There are very few of those on his classic roster. Carnage is obviously the exception to the rule, and frankly this Church guy would make a decent Cassidy. But I don't expect them to try and get that far with one movie, let alone with a pg13 rating. Edited by Daeval

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not Church replaces Dylan Baker as Connors/The Lizard, that just can't be the main villain in the next movie. The lizard isn't evil, or even very smart. The story there is that good-intentioned Dr Connors turns into a monster sometimes. It would make a good side plot, but not enough for the whole movie.

I thought of another villian I want to see more than electro. Mysterio! That would be a great character, although I worry it would be too similar to the upcoming Batman movie (with the Scarecrow)

my bet is on church as electro. second choice lizard.

the way hollywood has been going I'd bet venom would be played by The Rock ;)

spiderman needs christopher walken! (every movie needs walken)

Yeah, that was the other guy I was thinking of when I mentioned Gary Oldman. Those two guys make the best villians. Not sure what kind of character Walken could play.

And 2007 for a release seems about right. Wasn't there a 3 year wait between spiderman 1 and spiderman 2?

Looks like the baddie in the Spidey sequel might be Sandman. In case you're unfamiliar with him, click here for some backstory. (Ain't It Cool News)

church could be a cool sandman...

It's a good sign that we were able to guess with some accuracy on this one. Goes to show that they're casing a little better than they did with Daredevil (thinking about that movie makes me throw up a little).

Since Sandman isn't really "technology" based like GG and Doc Ock are, it's going to be interesting to see how they modernize the character. The team has done a great job so far, so I trust them, but this one's going to be a little tougher I think.

They needed a badass villain that you can hate, and excudes evilness. Doc Ock didn't fill that role. Instead he's a lame anti-hero who can't make up his mind on whether he's good or bad.

I'll agree that doc-ock's good-guy/bad-guy complex was a little too black and white, but "badass villians that excude evilness" really aren't what Spider Man is about. There are very few of those on his classic roster. Carnage is obviously the exception to the rule, and frankly this Church guy would make a decent Cassidy. But I don't expect them to try and get that far with one movie, let alone with a pg13 rating.

Hmm...let me rattle off some badass villains. We've mentioned some already. Obviously Carnage comes to mind. Venom is definately a bad mofo. They already used Green Goblin..he's second only to Carnage in badassness. There's also the Hobgoblin. Although Doc Conners isn't completely bad, when he becomes the Lizard...he's a badass mofo as well. No idle chitchat from him..he just wants to rip your head off. That's practically half of the major villains (Connors is a stretch) in the Spidey universe. :D Off course this doesn't mean they're all viable candidates for a movie.

Edited by Sturmvogel

Damn Carnage would be an awsome villian to have in any movie

For kicks, I'd like to see Bruce Cambell play him

I can kinda see Church playing Venom. Venom was a suit that took control of a person right? So they could make the original actor look like anything they want and have the suit bulk him up

I'll agree that doc-ock's good-guy/bad-guy complex was a little too black and white, but "badass villians that excude evilness" really aren't what Spider Man is about. There are very few of those on his classic roster. Carnage is obviously the exception to the rule, and frankly this Church guy would make a decent Cassidy. But I don't expect them to try and get that far with one movie, let alone with a pg13 rating.

Hmm...let me rattle off some badass villains. We've mentioned some already. Obviously Carnage comes to mind. Venom is definately a bad mofo. They already used Green Goblin..he's second only to Carnage in badassness. There's also the Hobgoblin. Although Doc Conners isn't completely bad, when he becomes the Lizard...he's a badass mofo as well. No idle chitchat from him..he just wants to rip your head off. That's practically half of the major villains (Connors is a stretch) in the Spidey universe. :P Off course this doesn't mean they're all viable candidates for a movie.

See, but all of those have some kind of internal conflict that gives them a "good guy/bad guy" schtick. Carnage, and possibly Hobgoblin, are the only exceptions listed there as far as I know.

Maybe I took your "villain that you can hate, and excudes evilness" part a bit too literally. I'll be the first to admit that most of Spidey's villians are badass, as long as we're talking "cool." But, Spidey was established on the idea of a more "human" superhero, and his best villians work with that concept. The "pure evil killing machine" archetype just doesn't work so well when contrasted with Spidey's relative humanity. Even Carnage works best when Venom is involved to change the formula a bit.

I can kinda see Church playing Venom.  Venom was a suit that took control of a person right?  So they could make the original actor look like anything they want and have the suit bulk him up

Not quite.. Eddie Brock, the guy in the suit, frequently appears when the suit disguises itself as normal clothes. Also, Carnage (Cletus Kasady) is a skinny redhead. Kind of like a short-haired Carrot Top, actually. :P

Edited by Daeval

Yeah I agree with you Daeval. Spidey's universe works best with more complex characters beyond the common "killer machine" villain. There's a lot more room to pull that off in a comic book where the writer can take the time and weave the story. But for a movie...there are limits time wise etc. I don't think many will be disappointed if the next villain was a less complex character than one is used to seeing in the comics. It's a diferent medium to work in with movies obviously, and as I said there's only so much time to put what you want in film.