PSP or nintendo DS

which would you prefer?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Meh.. a lot of whining about prices again. I'm not sure what you people were expecting. Why should games be cheaper just because they are on a portable system? Considering the power of the PSP, its portable games are going to have development cost similar to console games. So the price should be no suprise. And I'm looking at the game prices and see that most are $40 USD with a few being $50. Then I look over at DS games and see that most games are also $40 USD. So WTF? Take a look back at the GBA where many of the best games were games that came out 10 - 20 YEARS ago on the NES and SNES and cost $20-30 USD. So which is really a bigger rip off? Many of you are just biased to the point of ignorance.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

besides, unlike DS where its more kid-friendly, psp is aiming at younger-adults who have money and or JOBS that can financially support themselves to buy the product with all the necessary accessories like memory stick and protective cases i guess.

:):lol:

wait are u serious? sony is trying to make money :)

i dont find it funny...i read it on one of Gryph's link and i thought it made sense. if ur a younger adult and u have a job and u can afford, hell, why not? and its true, just bc its a portable doesnt mean the price has to be lower. it would be nice if it was lower, but what can u do? just like every other game product, its expensive at first and bound to get cheaper. and ur right, sony does wanna make money. and? who doesnt??? id get it if i had the money, which i am aiming for. looks like one hell of a product...

when is the white version gonna be out? it looks hot

I saw that movies for the PSP go for like $30. What a load of sht.

I'm pretty sure they are $15.

Still, i don't se myself buying any UMD movies unless I can't get them any other way.

Not all movies are for $15, premium ones like House of the Flying Daggers are upwards of $25. Unless they brought the price down after the negative publicity.

Meh.. a lot of whining about prices again.  I'm not sure what you people were expecting.  Why should games be cheaper just because they are on a portable system?  Considering the power of the PSP, its portable games are going to have development cost similar to console games.  So the price should be no suprise.  And I'm looking at the game prices and see that most are $40 USD with a few being $50.  Then I look over at DS games and see that most games are also $40 USD.  So WTF?  Take a look back at the GBA where many of the best games were games that came out 10 - 20 YEARS ago on the NES and SNES and cost $20-30 USD.  So which is really a bigger rip off?  Many of you are just biased to the point of ignorance.

That's why you get something called a flashcard.

Most of the DS/GBA prices are incurred through the expensive cartridge format. Even still, I would never buy a GBA game so I flash that sheit. I'm waiting for a PSP+R disc or something like that or maybe a DS flashcard.

I think portable games should be less expensive because of the development teams aren't as lucrative as the console counterparts.

But with the PSP, the games aren't mere portable versions but rather near perfect ports of the console version. That's why I think PSP will lose. Nintendo has made a portable system to appeal to those who have a few minutes here and there to play and not squat down indulging in "console" handheld games.

And finally, why is 40-50 dollars such a big deal? Well, what would you rather spend the cash on? For me personally, if it had down to putting cash I would get the console version, same thing with DVD's, if I ever wanted to buy a DVD movie, no way in hell I'll get a shiity UMD.

With the new movies that will support HD/Blu Ray format...lol who's going to pay for EXTREME crap versions of UMD with the lack of space.

But with the PSP, the games aren't mere portable versions but rather near perfect ports of the console version. That's why I think PSP will lose. Nintendo has made a portable system to appeal to those who have a few minutes here and there to play and not squat down indulging in "console" handheld games.

And finally, why is 40-50 dollars such a big deal? Well, what would you rather spend the cash on? For me personally, if it had down to putting cash I would get the console version, same thing with DVD's, if I ever wanted to buy a DVD movie, no way in hell I'll get a shiity UMD.

With the new movies that will support HD/Blu Ray format...lol who's going to pay for EXTREME crap versions of UMD with the lack of space.

Exactly, even those with well paying jobs who make a decent living still need the make choices such that. If you have X game which is better and seemingly has more features then Y portable version for exactly the same price, who would buy a toned down lesser featured version for X dollars. UMD sure seems big, but with the advent of bigger optical media, quality in video will be starting to be highly noticable between all.

I saw that movies for the PSP go for like $30. What a load of sht.

I'm pretty sure they are $15.

Still, i don't se myself buying any UMD movies unless I can't get them any other way.

Not all movies are for $15, premium ones like House of the Flying Daggers are upwards of $25. Unless they brought the price down after the negative publicity.

I really cant see people buying movies for the psp.. seriously why would u when u cant watch it on your tv? Are u seriously gona watch it enough to make use of it on ur psp? I mean sure u may buy one video and show ur friends and be like look this is cool it can play video... then on the shelf the video goes cause u have already seen it 15 times.. plus whats the fun in watching a movie alone? its not like ur gona get your gf to try and watch the damn movie in ur hand are u lol. Im sure shed find that damn romantic. :(

now being able to put video clips on the memory card is kinda cool.

On the subject of price, the PSP costs 250$ here. As much as a console, but lacking the power of a console, in favor of portability. The games are 50$ (perhaps), the standard price of a game.

The DS is 150$. 100 dollars cheaper. The games are 30-40$. 40 being for the really high-end games. GBA games are usually 30 or less.

Thus, whether or not portable products should be less expensive than console products, we've gotten used to it. And I'd like it to stay that way.