Terri Schiavo

Gryph

They should just do more indepth tests on her so we have a better understanding of what's going on.

yeah thats true but the wierd thing is the husband isnt willing to have any more tests, he just wants to end her life without 100% assurance.

I suspect that is because this has been going on for years and years.

This case has actually been going through the courts in Florida for years, so I have to assume that the courts have done due diligence in checking the diagnonsis and making sure nothing is suspect.

The x-rays show that the top part of her brain is just not there. She only has a brain stem which controls autonomic processes and has no cognitive function. But there are always going to be disagreements between doctors. I think the main reason for disagreement is that some doctors have only seen those videos of her, which could be misleading.

The real question about whether or not she should be kept alive is moral rather than medical. Is it morally right to artificially prolong the life of someone who has no awareness, or more broadly, no quality existence?

Is it moral to keep someone with no hope alive at the emotional and physical expense of their family and friends? Doesn't that "help" actually harm more people than it helps?

However, doesn't each life have an intrinsic value? Isn't taking her feeding tube away equivalent to treating this damaged person like a broken appliance that should be tossed out because it no longer does what we want? Should a life be ended because it is deemed useless or inconvenient?

Just some thoughts for discussion. :(

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course if the government hadn't halted stem cell research MAYBE i would've sided with the family.... but...

yes yes lets pay lots of money for people to test fertilized human eggs!!!

i mean it makes since right?!? lets kill them before they are born so the old can live longer woooohooo!

you arent getting a dime out of me for that crap.

Well there are two kinds of stem cells, one from embryos and one from adults. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. But I have a question, would you object to embryonic stem cell research if down the line scientists are able to extract those cells without compromising the embryo? You see, during the stage where the stem cells are taken, it's possible for any of the cells in that mass of cells to become a human. That's how twinning happens, when those cells split and individually develop (and conjoined twins when they don't split all the way).

But two days ago adult chicken stem cells were shown to regrow nerve cells. http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=3107692

Dammit! I can't go one forum without one thread made over a popular news topic.

It's not my responsibility or problem with this retard so I don't give a damn.

Dammit! I can't go one forum without one thread made over a popular news topic.

It's not my responsibility or problem with this retard so I don't give a damn.

Well then you can shut your mouth and see your way outside this thread. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say then SHUT THE FUCK UP!

This section is called Current Affairs for a reason.

this whole situation will probably get up to the supreme court, but it's doubtful that the court will allow the case to come before them. I don't really care for the method of letting her go by starvation, but I see the legal aspects of it. They showed a portion of a video on the news this morning, where she would *occasionally* respond (they said about once every several hours), but if she has been in this state for several years, without any kind of improvement, it would seem greatly unlikely that she would ever improve

Indeed. Though I see Skythe's point. :\ The entire matter should've been left with the family. The press/government should never have gotten involved. My social studies teacher says that they got involved to show that they care about the people and stuff, but it doesn't seem like a good reason.

The entire case has been appealed 7 times, I assume it eventually reached a higher court and the government and news got involved in it.

Well then you can shut your mouth and see your way outside this thread. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say then SHUT THE FUCK UP!

This section is called Current Affairs for a reason.

My "Give A Damn" button is broken and I don't plan on fixin it.

Anywho.

I heard there was going to be a hunger strike over this situation with the husband not succumbing to their worthless power of wanting the world to do their assfingering bidding. I'm gonna laugh and eat food infront of them for thinking their "helping" but instead making a mockery of the whole ordeal.

Fucking losers.

Edited by Skythe

A few years back, a doctor came in to review her case. He spent months going over the other doctors' notes and he also spent months with her.

His final report was that her brain was so destroyed that she was incapable of thought. As a friend of mine put it, "Her body is alive, but there is no thought present."

In most cases, I would consider starvation cruel, but in this case, I believe that it is acceptable since she is incapable of feeling. In her state, her death should be painless.

I heard on the news today that a higher court refused to re-install her feeding tube with a 2 to 1 verdict.

All that you see when you see the videos of her are reflexes. She is not in control nor capable of thought.

Edited by Bob Jahovic

• 2 weeks later...