McGwire Refuses to Say if He Used Steroids

Alpha

I don't see what the big deal about him using steroids is. It's not like the other players don't have access to them. And if they have so many drawbacks, then why would they be illegal to use anyway? It seems like a fair tradeoff.

I don't see what the big deal about him using steroids is.  It's not like the other players don't have access to them.  And if they have so many drawbacks, then why would they be illegal to use anyway?  It seems like a fair tradeoff.

It's a big deal because it's unfair to the players who don't take steroids and it's not good sportsmanship. That'd kind of like saying it's ok for kids to cheat in school because the fair tradeoff is that they won't know anything later.

they shouldn't make this steroid thing a big deal IMO

what's really gonna be interesting is watching baseball players play while they're not on steroids

Watching Baseball is never interesting. :)

And I wouldn't really equate steroids to cheating. It's much more similar to Cliffnotes.

All i have to add for my opinion is that the MLB should have a durg test or somthing of the sort, then when a player is found with a illegal drug in their system they should be banned. this is to let all the people with real talent play and also keep it fun for them and the crowd.

All i have to add for my opinion is that the MLB should have a durg test or somthing of the sort, then when a player is found with a illegal drug in their system they should be banned. this is to let all the people with real talent play and also keep it fun for them and the crowd.

Well, MLB did adopt a new system for testing and penalizing players caught using steroids, but it is a very weak setup. You get 5 chances(I think)before you're banned:

1st offense - 10 day suspension

2nd offense - 30 day suspension

3rd offense - 60 day suspension

4th offense - 1 year suspension

5th offense - banned

In this setup, it will take roughly two full seasons before anyone could get banned from baseball, making it still fairly easy for Barry Bonds to set the HR record. It should be more like International track suspensions, where your 1st offense is 2 years suspension, and the 2nd offense is a lifetime ban. Now, it's pretty much going to be suspicious eyes watching anyone who cranks out 50+ homers in a season.

Edited by Z-Neo