Bootleg sets S ROM question

Afaik there are no bootlegs that use 512k S roms.  It is much cheaper to use a 128k rom chip than a 512k one.

If you see a bootleg dump using a 512k rom, most likeley it has been hacked to use 512.

Kof10th is an interesting exception of all the above, but it does not use a 512k chip.  It uses an 8mb P rom with two banks of S data stored in it.

So IQ, you're saying that bootlegs do not have transparency effects when played from an actual board?

They have fake transparency effects, AFAIK.

Afaik there are no bootlegs that use 512k S roms.  It is much cheaper to use a 128k rom chip than a 512k one.

If you see a bootleg dump using a 512k rom, most likeley it has been hacked to use 512.

Kof10th is an interesting exception of all the above, but it does not use a 512k chip.  It uses an 8mb P rom with two banks of S data stored in it.

So IQ, you're saying that bootlegs do not have transparency effects when played from an actual board?

The bootleg sets do not :P

For example

Kof2003 (non bootleg) will have transparency effects But kof2003b (bootleg) will not

The bootleg sets do not :P

For example

Kof2003 (non bootleg) will have transparency effects But kof2003b (bootleg) will not

Ah, ok. I could have sworn I saw fake transparency effects in some game, but whatever

Bootlegs do not usually have full transparency effects, like I said.

They get as much transparency as they can from having a 128k S1

You may find hacked bootleg S1's on the net with the transparency data added, but I can almost assure you that these are not from original boards.

btw, I thought of another example of a bootleg having more than 128k -- cthd2k3sp: it has 256k